How do you find someone to watch your teen?

WeRcoasting

I have a 16 year old daughter that will stay home during our 10 day cruise in April. I seem to be having trouble finding someone (referred) that I trust to stay with her while we are gone. I have told all my friends that I am looking for someone to teen/house sit but have not had anyone interested. Our daughter is inmature but is well behavied. What is up?

Do you guys have any ideas?

Not sure by what "standards" she's immature. I moved out when I was 16 (I'm not sure if my parent's believed I was "mature" enough). But you know your daughter better than anyone...I would suggest a professional nanny service (they can drive her to her apts, help with her homework and keep your house clean while you are away)!!!! Maybe Nanny 911 is available?

I agree that you need someone to look over her...Even a mature 16 year old cannot stay alone..geez..mine would of loved that:eek: We have always been able to have Grandma or a trusted family friend watch our girls. Now the older one 20 lives on her own. My youngest goes on vacation in April with us, and when we do leave her it is only for a couple of days. She usually stays with friends with parents that I know well, or now her sister will even take her on the weekends..I know that it would be impossible for us to leave for 10 days. The Nanny thing might work for you, but It may be too late to secure one on such short notice. Good luck to you:rolleyes:

Where are you located?

Are there some nanny referral services in your area? You may have to pay a finders fee - hopefully reduced for such a short job, but they may be able to come up with something for you. (might have been cheaper to have her come along on the cruise!!)

Can she stay at a good friend's house? Then she'd be supervised and they could go to school together.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into nanny services but it would cost as much as our cruise. If she could miss school, it would be cheeper to just take her with us. Stike that, last cruise she went on cost us a bundle in shopping. :eek:

I think I will call one of her friend's mom and see if she is interested... maybe we could trade.

Thanks!

We almost left my daugther at home last year so she wouldnt miss school (she was a senior) but I decided to take her the last minute becasue I didnt trust anyone else to watch her. I am glad I took her with me because this is her last year at home and we had a great time together.

We are lucky enough to live near several universities. I've used grad students that have been recommended to me by friends. Also, some of the young teachers who are not married often stay with kids to earn extra money. We don't have any family nearby to help out. Usually we end up just taking them with us.

Becky

Not to be a paranoid nay-sayer, but does "grown son" know the rules and will he be reponsible for his 16 year old sister?

Or has he already started to send out e-vites for the wild bash he is having as a reunion with his highschool buddies? (I remember the first time my "grown sister" was left in charge of us "not-so-grown" and "not so mature" siblings - best party on the block for years!)

I would make sure that at least one of your next door neighbors knows that you are away and have a few freinds randomly call/stop by just to check on things...

When we had to leave our teens (it was a business sponsored trip - no children allowed), we used a college-aged son of a friend.

We left him about $150 for the week, this bought pizza and video rentals (and he did a MARVELOUS job of stretching that money - even used coupons!). (And paid him the same amount of money for his time and trouble.)

This trip, teens are going with us, but we're using his younger brother, who is now college bound himself, to house-sit and kitty-sit.

I'd be willing to bet w/ a little a checking around that you could find an Junior or Senior in College who'd appreciate the extra money. (The son/daughter/niece/nephew/grandchild of someone you know.) Just ask around!

If it was me, and it was my daughter, I'd use the same-gendered person to stay with them. (That's just my own paranoia though!)

Archived