Portofino port question

Laurennicole726

For Portofino, for anyone who has been there, is it easy to find a cab at the port even early in the morning? I was looking at the ferry option to get us from Portofino to Santa Margherita Ligure but it seems to only be available starting at noon so it looks like a cab may be our only option.

in portofino the nr of taxi is very limited and i would suggest to book in advance

indeed the first boat to santa margherita is at 1200

as alternative you can consider also the local bus ( n° 782) there is a bus every 15 minutes

On 7/9/2023 at 2:24 AM, Laurennicole726 said:

Portofino to Santa Margherita

it is also possible to walk or go by public bus between the two and you can always get the ferry back to Portofino from SM.  The short 15/20 minute crossing has beautiful views so I highly recommend you take the ferry at least one direction.

We really liked SM.  A most attractive resort town with some lovely walks along the waterfront and several sights to visit. We found lots of info on Tripadvisor and others.  The streets around the Church of SM ( a 2 minute walk from the waterfront) have interesting buildings with some being coloured. Also has a really good selection of restaurants and cafes, and as an added bonus is less expensive than very pricey Portofino.

Having explored the historic centre and the waterfront, we also walked up to the "Villa?" via the gardens from  the town, explored all the top area then came back down the staircase to emerge by the tiny Fisherman's chapel next to the waterfront.  I think you will enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Edited by edinburgher

On 7/9/2023 at 5:35 AM, salabc said:

in portofino the nr of taxi is very limited and i would suggest to book in advance

indeed the first boat to santa margherita is at 1200

as alternative you can consider also the local bus ( n° 782) there is a bus every 15 minutes

Thanks for the info!

On 7/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, edinburgher said:

it is also possible to walk or go by public bus between the two and you can always get the ferry back to Portofino from SM.  The short 15/20 minute crossing has beautiful views so I highly recommend you take the ferry at least one direction.

We really liked SM.  A most attractive resort town with some lovely walks along the waterfront and several sights to visit. We found lots of info on Tripadvisor and others.  The streets around the Church of SM ( a 2 minute walk from the waterfront) have interesting buildings with some being coloured. Also has a really good selection of restaurants and cafes, and as an added bonus is less expensive than very pricey Portofino.

Having explored the historic centre and the waterfront, we also walked up to the "Villa?" via the gardens from  the town, explored all the top area then came back down the staircase to emerge by the tiny Fisherman's chapel next to the waterfront.  I think you will enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for info! Do you know how long of a walk it is from portofino port to SM train stations?

walking from portofino to santa is possible ( is actually a nice walk ) but i would not suggest if you have to toccent to a train

i would say it will take at least 1 hour if not90minuts

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Laurennicole726 said:

Thanks for info! Do you know how long of a walk it is from portofino port to SM train stations?

Sorry but we didn't explore SML in-depth, only the more attractive touristic areas so didn't see a train station, or a bus station either.