Buying on Mediterranean cruise

Hi,

I have bought some jewellery on this Mediterranean cruise and was given the spiel on what a good deal it is as I can claim the VAT back at the airport before leaving for the UK.

However, I have just looked up, all confusing, as do I declare when I  get back to the UK what has been bought, in which case I will have to pay 20%?

I went back to the store on ship as I  thought it safer to get a refund but they said I would have to wait till I was back in the UK, this can't be right?

Since you bought it on the ship, the ship was in international waters, and no VAT tax was collected. You are obliged to declare what you bought while outside your country when you return through your customs area. Then you would pay based on your country's policy.

Barb

15 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

Since you bought it on the ship, the ship was in international waters, and no VAT tax was collected. You are obliged to declare what you bought while outside your country when you return through your customs area. Then you would pay based on your country's policy.

Barb

Sadly that is not true on cruises where all the ports of call are in the European Union, in which case VAT will be added to all on board purchases. Some or all of it can be claimed back at the airport on departure if your destination is outside the EU.

For @shilu the question of whether they need to declare their purchase to UK Customs depends on how much it cost. Goods worth up to £390 can be imported duty free. Ditto if they’re worth over £390 and you can prove they were made in the EU. Details here: 

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

So basically, I can claim the VAT back before I leave at the airport, only to be charged it again when I arrive in the UK, a pain!

So I have tried to get a refund, the back of the receipt says I can within 30 days, as long as it is not used or opened, but the manager will not give me one, stating it is already processed and that I will have to get it in my own country!

What can I do?

8 minutes ago, shilu said:

So basically, I can claim the VAT back before I leave at the airport, only to be charged it again when I arrive in the UK, a pain!

So I have tried to get a refund, the back of the receipt says I can within 30 days, as long as it is not used or opened, but the manager will not give me one, stating it is already processed and that I will have to get it in my own country!

What can I do?

Yes, pre-Brexit you’d have been fine but not any more.

If the receipt says you can get a refund I’d try standing my ground and escalate if necessary via Guest Services. But if they still refuse there’s probably not a lot you can do on board.

For anyone on the US side, if you buy something make sure you use your actual passport as your identification.  I bought a couple of purses in Rome to bring home and used my passport card as ID because that's what I had with me. At the airport they refused to process it for me because I hadn't used my actual passport.  I think the woman was just being a b!tch but it is what it is.  Figured I'd share so someone else might avoid the problem.