Walking Juneau - State Office Bldg. and Whale Project

Steve in Omaha

We're planning a self-guided walking tour in Juneau. We'll be up by the State Capitol.  Did i read somewhere that you can "cut through" the State Office Building and come out down on on Willoughby?

While we're in that general area, is walking out to the Whale Project sculpture worth it? I realize it's almost a mile out, but that's not prohibitive to us if the sculpture is interesting.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Steve in Omaha said:

We're planning a self-guided walking tour in Juneau. We'll be up by the State Capitol.  Did i read somewhere that you can "cut through" the State Office Building and come out down on on Willoughby?

While we're in that general area, is walking out to the Whale Project sculpture worth it? I realize it's almost a mile out, but that's not prohibitive to us if the sculpture is interesting.

Thanks!

willoughby there's a staircase that can take you down by the state office building. it's probably between state office building and the governor's house. 

i didn't go to the statue though, but i did walk over to the governor's house. 

We did this in reverse. Went from the whale statue to the office building. We took the elevator from Willoughby parking up to the main floor. So I'm sure you can do it going down. Make sure you go out onto the balcony overlooking Juneau. The elevator was past the organ and there is a restroom there. Yes the whale statue is worth it.

Edited by Eileen G
  • Like 2