Flying Clipper - any chance of a rebirth?

nudistcruzer

I was on the Royal Clipper when, after the first stop which was off of a French beach in Corsica, our itinerary was abruptly changed to avoid all French ports. The cruise line was afraid of the ship being seized by French authorities.

We were on the frontline of the dispute over the “Flying Clipper”.

Still, the now renamed “SV Golden Horizon”, sits unused, I believe, in the center of another financial situation.

I will go out of my way to sail on the “Flying Clipper”, if she ever becomes part of Star Clippers.

I have been on the “Royal Clipper” many times and one of their smaller ships once. I am looking forward to my next Star Clipper cruise. 

Does anyone know the full story and perhaps the future of the ship formally known as “The Flying Clipper“?

• Like 1

We were on the very next cruise as all of that occurred in 2019. Arrived in Cannes to NOT see our ship in the harbor. (We've sailed from Cannes before and know where it should be for embarkation.)  We then discovered we were being bussed to a different port to avoid possible seizure of the ship and that many of our upcoming ports would change.

We still had a marvelous trip though.

You would think Star Clippers could pick up Golden Horizon at a huge discount now.  That may have to wait until a bankruptcy court gets involved as I would not doubt the "sellers" would rather not sell to Star Clippers, especially at a discount, given the animosity and history between the parties.

In the meantime, a beautiful ship lies unused.  Such a waste.

Edited by habenicd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, habenicd said:

We were on the very next cruise as all of that occurred in 2019. Arrived in Cannes to NOT see our ship in the harbor. (We've sailed from Cannes before and know where it should be for embarkation.)  We then discovered we were being bussed to a different port to avoid possible seizure of the ship and that many of our upcoming ports would change.

We still had a marvelous trip though.

You would think Star Clippers could pick up Golden Horizon at a huge discount now.  That may have to wait until a bankruptcy court gets involved as I would not doubt the "sellers" would rather not sell to Star Clippers, especially at a discount, given the animosity and history between the parties.

In the meantime, a beautiful ship lies unused.  Such a waste.

Yes, hopefully, it ends up back with star clippers.  

I am surprised that they didn’t alert the passengers prior to the subsequent cruise(s). But, no one had to change existing plans, if they had hotel reservations in Cannes. Actually, if we had been the the ports that were originally planned, we would’ve had a terrible time. A huge storm hit the area we were supposed to have been. Our voyage turned out great as well.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The attached photo was taken a few days ago by a passenger on Saga's Spirit of Adventure and posted as part of a blog (by NorbertsNiece) on the Saga board. Picture taken at night so details unclear, but shows a five masted sailing ship. She is square rigged on 4 masts with just a spanker (?) on the rear, like the Golden Horizon/Flying Clipper. Is it she, and if so who is sailing her?

20231019_182603.thumb.jpg.c939a331ad1d075ff5f305813dfbcb0c.jpg

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

The attached photo was taken a few days ago by a passenger on Saga's Spirit of Adventure and posted as part of a blog (by NorbertsNiece) on the Saga board. Picture taken at night so details unclear, but shows a five masted sailing ship. She is square rigged on 4 masts with just a spanker (?) on the rear, like the Golden Horizon/Flying Clipper. Is it she, and if so who is sailing her?

20231019_182603.thumb.jpg.c939a331ad1d075ff5f305813dfbcb0c.jpg

Picture of Golden Horizon for comparison. Pretty sure that the ship photographed by NorbrtsNiece was she. General shape is the same, particularly bows and stern and superstucture between fore and main masts, and relative height of rear mast.

clipper-golden-horizon-715x429.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is the ship previously known as the Flying Clipper. Really, what else could it be? It is probably a sign that it is getting close to finding a buyer. Hopefully if that buyer is going to use the vessel as a cruise ship, they will lease it to Star Clippers.

Edited by nudistcruzer

7 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

I think it is the ship previously known as the Flying Clipper. Really, what else could it be? It is probably a sign that it is getting close to finding a buyer. Hopefully if that buyer is going to use the vessel as a cruise ship, they will lease it to Star Clippers.

The photograph was taken in the Adriatic last Thursday by a passenger on Spirit of Adventure whilst sailing between Split Croatia and Italy.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

The photograph was taken in the Adriatic last Thursday by a passenger on Spirit of Adventure whilst sailing between Split Croatia and Italy.

Currently, she is back at the shipyard in Split, Croatia where she was built. 

To see her current position: goto CruiseMapper

I searched for actual news, I couldn't find any specific current information about the ship.  But the news you provided, at least, means she is being kept sea worthy for a day when she can sail again.  

10-May-2022: "Brodosplit the Croatian shipbuilder has filed for provisional bankruptcy as the company looks for a solution to a financial crisis brought on by the EU's financial and banking sanctions against Russian institutions."

15-May-2023: The restructuring plan of DIV Group was approved.

I was unable to find out if they were retaining ownership of the "Golden Horizon" or are forced to sell the ship as part of the restructuring terms.

The DIV Group is fully capable of operating the vessel as a cruise ship.

Any forced sale would limit the amount they could sell it for. If I represented the creditors, I would suggest that The DIV Group retain ownership for the time being, as being their best way to recover loaned amounts. That is the ship can be a source of continued revenue that can help repay debt.  "Never throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Edited by nudistcruzer
  • Like 1