Jury Duty has my number !

HappySails4U

On 8/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, HappySails4U said:

So received jury summons from my local county government and of course have a cruise scheduled for that week.  I can submit a request for a one time postponement but does anyone have past experience in doing so?   In writing to request postponement to the Jury Division, is it necessary to include any Carnival documentation as proof of a paid in full trip ??  

Appreciate any input !!! 

I was called THREE times to the Jury in Georgia and had trips planned on/around the jury date for all three. 

For the first one, I requested a deferral because we were travelling. 

For the second one, I requested a deferral because we were travelling.

For the third one, I requested a deferral because we were travelling. My request was denied. My jury date was two days before I was flying. I had to wait until my group was called (about 12:30 pm), then go into the courtroom and answer all of the jury selection questions (until about 3 pm), then I was permitted to approach the judge to request a deferral. The judge required that I submit my plane tickets to the bailiff via email. About 20 minutes later I was released with a stern warning because I had 3 times requested a deferral. 

The last two times I was on jury duty in California, I ended up spending the entire day on my work computer waiting to be summoned before being dismissed-time served in the mid-afternoon. And, they were apologetic. In fact, in a six month period in 2018-2019, I had a September cruise, has a jury summons waiting for me when I got home, had the one day of jury duty, and applied for and got job relocated to Dallas. (WHEW!)

Funny thing... I got my first summons for Texas jury duty which will occur one week after taking vacation in Oklahoma City.