Alaska - tripod vs monopod (or neither)

Rhinodad

Alaska ‐ tripod vs monopod  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Tripod, monopod or neither

• Tripod w/ ball head
    • Monopod w/ gimbal
    • Neither - just handhold

Going on a cruise which includes Glacier Bay in a couple weeks. Wondering if a tripod or monopod will be beneficial for the days of scenic cruising in Glacier Bay and Yakutat Bay (Hubbard Glacier)? Or is it not worth the room in the suitcase? Bringing Sony full-frame with 70-200 2.8, 200-600, and 24-70 2.8.

Having taken both on trips without really ever using them, I have given up on carrying one. I am also a Sony shooter, so in-body stabilization and optical stabilization have taken the place of 'pods in my day-to-day shooting. On small tour boats, the movement makes a monopod unusable and unless you are a big fan of stink-eye being directed at you, don't set up a tripod on a crowded viewing deck. On board the ship, a tripod could be used in uncrowded areas, but the need just isn't there for me. I do still take a little tabletop tripod and some gaffer's tape in case I want to take a timed shot with me and the Wonderful Wife in it but have yet to use it.

image.png.546394757a9f88e9376cbe469adf9179.png

That's my 4¢...

Happy Shooting!

Dave

• Like 1

I'm taking a travel Tripod/Monopod... planning to use the tripod on an aft-facing balcony with my one of my cameras set to shoot at intervals while the ship pivots in place in Glacier Bay.  Should be a pretty impressive panorama if all goes right.  I'll use the monopod on any walks or excursions.

Also taking Jobi Gorilla Pod table top tripod for DW's camera.

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 1