Vegetarian Choices on Royal Caribbean?

JudithEM

We've been on Carnival cruises and my husband has been so disappointed with the one vegetarian entree on the menu each night in the dining room. Last year, our waiter was so accommodating and brought him the various side dishes he asked for (from the other entres) that he wanted. Our waiter this year didn't get it.

We're on VOS next. What kind of options are there in the dining room for vegetarians? Anyone ever pay attention to this?

I'm sure there's always fruit and salad (and veggie burgers at Johnny Rockets) but what about the dining room?

I've been on a few RCCL cruises but not in the past couple of years. Most cruise lines operate the same way. Make sure your TA submits this info about your husband to the cruise line a couple of months in advance. Try to call and confirm this yourself and write a letter as well, if necessary about a month before you cruise.

The first day after boarding try to see the Maitre'd or head waiter making dining room adjustments and identify yourself as needing veggie meals ( I can't eat dairy, eggs, or meat products) They should know to take care of you.

Most of the time we had the head waiter bring the next days menus to me the evening prior and I could order or modify meal selection for the next day. This usually works out well and he can special order what he would like and not just get "stuck" with the veggie selection on the menu. It helps to have a food list ready or at least mentally as it helps to have ideas and suggestions.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

This site has photos of RCL menus from a Navigator 7 night cruise:

The menus are typical for most of RCL's 7 night cruises. We had almost identical menus on our 7 night Canada/New England cruise on Enchantment in September. You can see the vegetarian offerings each evening in the dining room by perusing these menus.

You might want to perform a search, on the RCL boards, to see the lunch menu offered in the dining room. The dining room, at lunch, also has a made to order pasta bar that is quite delicious and a good vegetarian alternative. Of course, the Windjammer Buffet also has some vegetarian options at lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

We found the vegetarian selection much better in the Windjammer than in the dining room: there were always grilled and steamed vegetables, as well as a variety of asian choices (pad thai, curried tofu with veggies) in addition to the vegetarian selection from the main DR, and the pasta station (and of course, all the deserts are meat-free!)

Although I have found the veggie and Spa selections to be very good on Carnival, I have this little tidbit to offer:

My sister was on RCI's Splendour of the Seas a coupla weeks ago. She doesn't have any dietary restrictions, but she does love her veggies! She told me that one night in the dining room, she asked for Pasta Primavera (not on themenu) and it was great. She also had some type Veggie Shish-ka-bob one night. She was quite happy with the menu, and said she often asked for seconds on the veggies with other entrees.:)

Archived