Private Islands and MS heat sensitivity

shepherdqueen

Are there any fellow travelers with MS who can handle the heat on Royal Carribean's private island, Coco Cay?  Any tips and tricks?  Last year I was drained walking in the sand and sitting out under an umbrella and we traveled in November.   This year we're traveling a month earlier.  I do have tickets for their Beach Club, but I am not sure they will allow me to stay in the restaurant area where there are solid floors and ceiling fans as they reserve those tables for lunch.  That area I think would be the best for me with my disability.  

I am pretty new with my dx and any tips or tricks are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Hi Shepherdqueen

My husband has MS and we just returned from two weeks in London.  He uses a mobility scooter to get around.  Vacations are very doable with an MS dx, but proper planning is so important.  We have had to adjust the way we travel over the years to accommodate his disability as it progresses. 

When we go to Cape Cod in the hot summer months, he makes sure to take cooling hats, drink lots of water, and take frequent breaks.  If we are walking down to the beach, we choose a place that has a boardwalk or other structure so he is not walking on sand the whole way down. 

I would check with Royal's Guest Assistance before your trip. They deal with these issues all the time and I'm sure they will be able to give you a lot of good tips and advise on how to navigate their island.  Also, there are a ton of private MS groups on facebook that you may want to consider joining.  My husband belongs to one and I belong to a different one for "caretakers" of people with MS.  It is so awesome having people in your shoes to talk with.

All the best.

Tracy