Aquarium of Genoa

Waynetor

My wife and I are interested in going to the Aquarium.(Europe's largest)  She is in a wheelchair and can't transfer.  I looked at various sites and saw the distance from the cruise port as being 7km, then 2.1 km and then 1km.

Has anybody been there and how far from the port is it?  

Is there public transit that is accessible by wheelchair? 

There is a pretty good map for the Genova hop on hop off bus which shows the Cruise terminal stop # 10 with the aquarium about a third of the way around the Old port on way to next stop #1 which they list for the Aquarium.  

the hop on hop off does have wheelchair access but I don't know  if it is easier to reach on foot from cruise ship rather than from hop on hop off stop #1.  To get to cruise terminal stop #10 it was necessary to go through terminal down a short block and the cross a busy highway which did have lights for pedestrians.    There was then a long line to get on bus and I needed to wait for the next one.  Both routes go from this locatlion to stop 1, so either one would work.

I only got on bus and took full circuit rilde.  It was not possible to see much of anything from bus.

I was cruising alone, but met husband in Rome to start our auto tourling.  We did come back to Genova and visit the aquarium.  I honestly don't think it is worth the effort to visit it.  I use a cane with a seat attached and needed it in this aquarium.   Needed timed entry tickets purchased on museum website.  There is only one route through the aquarium and it heads 4 stories up on a ramp and then down to exit.  There are elevators but I found the signage lacking.  We tried to exit after we were all the way up and needed to backtrack and got very lost.   There were no guides to question for way out . 

Our trip was in July and I am sorry do not know the exact distance. It was maybe a 5-10 minute drive from the port. We actually took the HOHO bus from the aquarium back to the ship. We bought our tickets at the aquarium itself when we arrived we had trouble buying in advance online. 

Edited by CynBeth6