Elegant Jeans on Seabourn? Now, what is that? What does Esquire say?

SLSD

25 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,a Wrangler theme night.

Levis not accepted 

Mr. SLSD would support that.   He has a particular expression to describe Levis, which I will not repeat here.  Wranglers have always been his jean of choice back from the days he worked on a Texas ranch in his growing up years.  

Here's what GQ has to say about men's jeans:  https://www.gq.com/story/best-jeans-brands#:~:text=Owens%2C Our Legacy-,The Big Three,we think of blue jeans.

How do I  have time to make further comments on this recycled thread today?  I'm on a 11 hour car trip--fortunately not as the driver.  

Edited by SLSD

14 hours ago, SLSD said:

Mr. SLSD would support that.   He has a particular expression to describe Levis, which I will not repeat here.  Wranglers have always been his jean of choice back from the days he worked on a Texas ranch in his growing up years.  

Here's what GQ has to say about men's jeans:  https://www.gq.com/story/best-jeans-brands#:~:text=Owens%2C Our Legacy-,The Big Three,we think of blue jeans.

How do I  have time to make further comments on this recycled thread today?  I'm on a 11 hour car trip--fortunately not as the driver.  

I am surprised that a person of fine taste like you buys commercial Jeans made by modern industrial machineries with mediocre cotton and poor indico (o no real indico at all). I import mine from the big5 in Japan....yes expensive but well worth it 🙂

1 hour ago, Khareef said:

I am surprised that a person of fine taste like you buys commercial Jeans made by modern industrial machineries with mediocre cotton and poor indico (o no real indico at all). I import mine from the big5 in Japan....yes expensive but well worth it 🙂

Did you read the article from Esquire that I posted in the first post for this thread?  If not, you missed the point of the thread.  And who said I had fine taste?  Not me! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

Did you read the article from Esquire that I posted in the first post for this thread?  If not, you missed the point of the thread.  And who said I had fine taste?  Not me! 

I was just kidding of course 🙂

On 10/28/2023 at 9:56 PM, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

I have a question not related to elegant jeans but to the dress code at least… though I have chuckled at this thread a lot and enjoyed the levity (in places) of the post. 

This is my husband and I first seabourn cruise, we’re wondering how necessary a jacket is on formal night? My husband is more of a shirt and nice sweater kind of guy in the evenings, or even a shirt and tie.  We don’t particularly want to travel with a jacket for one night, if we don’t have too? Perhaps this is another hotly debated topic a long with elegant jeans 🙂 

Jacket not necessary but it does dress up even a t-shirt and lots of new softer fabrics that are easy to pack and even provide some warmth. 

On 11/1/2023 at 10:50 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Let's hope that we never see you wearing them on a ship

They are way too expensive to be worn in such modest venues like the restaurants on Seabourn 

I mostly wear them on fancy occasions in Paris or Milan 🙂

On 10/28/2023 at 8:56 PM, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

This is my husband and I first seabourn cruise, we’re wondering how necessary a jacket is on formal night?

If you don't bring a jacket, the host in The Restaurant will place one on your chair so it looks like you took yours off after you were seated. At least, that's what I witnessed on the Odyssey this summer when the man at the table next to us arrived without a jacket on formal night. I found it very amusing that throwing a jacket over his chair suddenly improved the formality of his wardrobe!

Just another word about jackets.  Mr. SLSD is retired and has been for over five years now.  He mostly dresses casually these days.  Yesterday, he went to meet a friend for lunch at a close to downtown Dallas restaurant.  He dressed wearing a sports coat without a tie.  After he returned home, he reported that almost every man in the restaurant had on either a suit or a sports coat with slacks.  Some were wearing ties and some were not. This is lunch in a restaurant. It is a steak house (Capital Grille) somewhat akin to a TK Grill.    I don't think it is out of line to expect that most men would want to wear a jacket to dinner on Seabourn.  I'm not preaching, but expressing surprise that most would not think it appropriate.  

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

Just another word about jackets.  Mr. SLSD is retired and has been for over five years now.  He mostly dresses casually these days.  Yesterday, he went to meet a friend for lunch at a close to downtown Dallas restaurant.  He dressed wearing a sports coat without a tie.  After he returned home, he reported that almost every man in the restaurant had on either a suit or a sports coat with slacks.  Some were wearing ties and some were not. This is lunch in a restaurant. It is a steak house (Capital Grille) somewhat akin to a TK Grill.    I don't think it is out of line to expect that most men would want to wear a jacket to dinner on Seabourn.  I'm not preaching, but expressing surprise that most would not think it appropriate.  

That is typical attire for those of us who still work and lunch at Cap Grill which explains why many who are not retired do not like to dress on vacation as they do for work. What you think is what you think. I don’t know that many others really care. I'm not sermonizing, but many think it appropriate to not wear work attire while on vacation. Then again, who really cares?!

Edited by whirldcruzrs
Redundant

13 minutes ago, whirldcruzrs said:

That is typical attire for those of us who still work and lunch at Cap Grill which explains why many who are not retired do not like to dress on vacation as they do for work. What you think is what you think. I don’t know that many others really care. I'm not sermonizing, but many think it appropriate to not wear work attire while on vacation. Then again, who really cares?!

I agree with you to a certain extent.  I am not one to say--pick another cruise line---or dine in another restaurant.  I just don't see what the big deal is when it comes to a man packing a jacket or two for a luxury cruise.  At the same time, I do believe that people should dress as they choose.  

• Like 1