Timaru NZ excursion

luckybecky

Our cruise line (NCL) just notified us that one of our ports has been changed from Lyttleton to Timaru. I am finding very few tour options from there. Any suggestions of what to do?

The cruise line does not yet have any excursions posted. Even when they do add something, I probably won't choose an NCL excursion because all of the excursions they are offering on this itinerary are very exorbitantly priced. So I'm looking for anything we can do on our own.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Our cruise line (NCL) just notified us that one of our ports has been changed from Lyttleton to Timaru. I am finding very few tour options from there. Any suggestions of what to do?

The cruise line does not yet have any excursions posted. Even when they do add something, I probably won't choose an NCL excursion because all of the excursions they are offering on this itinerary are very exorbitantly priced. So I'm looking for anything we can do on our own.

Thanks!

Sorry, I shouldn't be so flippant. We've just cancelled a cruise because they swapped Stewart Island for Timaru. Timaru is somewhere we'd stop for a toilet break on the way home. Maybe dodgy takeaways to eat in the car on the way home haha. There is a beach there which can be ok. I think you can see penguins. Lake Tekapo is about an hour away if you could hire a car?

That's what I was afraid of. 

NCL has done this before. We had a Miami to Los Angeles cruise last year. They dropped two central American ports, and replaced them with a few hours in Acapulco. 

This is done months before the cruise. I understand ports can change due to weather or something but this is annoying.  🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

That's what I was afraid of. 

NCL has done this before. We had a Miami to Los Angeles cruise last year. They dropped two central American ports, and replaced them with a few hours in Acapulco. 

This is done months before the cruise. I understand ports can change due to weather or something but this is annoying.  🙄

That's rough. It's either $$ or it's a scheduling issue and other ship(s) are booked in. Bugger 😅

Are you into old cars? The Facebook page I was on for our NZ cruise before they gave us Timaru and we cancelled.. had some people putting on a brave face and coming up with ideas. I don't think I can post a FB link due to CC rules.. but what they did say was - 

if your looking for something to do in Timaru get in contact with the boutique village excursions group. Omg they are amazing with what they can offer. I’ve just arranged a full day out, getting driven around in old classic cars, being picked up from the info centre (where the ship docks) and driven around for the whole day to all the sites my husband and I want to see for a small price person. There communicate has been amazing and all the funds go to local museum in Geraldine. What more can you ask for….

Somebody else on that group suggested - 

My partners and I are interested in doing the following trip from Timaru. Is there anyone else who would llke to join us. If I can get another couple to join us the cost will be $100 pp.
DISCOVER MOERAKI BOULDERS & OAMARU
Explore the famous Moeraki Boulders and Oamaru’s Victorian Precinct with guide, Linda.
EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
Return transport from Timaru to Moeraki and Oamaru
Time to explore the famous Moeraki Boulders
Time to explore Oamaru's Victorian Precinct
Lunch NOT included, however, you will have time to grab lunch in Oamaru
Departs: 9am from the Timaru Information Centre (this will be different if your arrives later than this).
Duration: 5 hours, 30 mins
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Lake Tekapo is about an hour away if you could hire a car?

I would also recommend Lake Tekapo if you want to hire a car.   Just over an hour from Timaru and the drive is very senic with things to see along the way as well.   Church of the Good Shepherd is one of the most photographed churches in NZ.    Some information below you may find helpful:

https://myqueenstowndiary.com/things-to-do-in-lake-tekapo-new-zealand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1