Octantis - can I avoid evening buffets?

DaveA

I am happy with buffets for breakfast and lunch, but I do like to be served dinner.

My understanding of the options on Octantis and Polaris is that the Restaurant and Manfredi's require reservations and I cannot expect to eat there most evenings. That leaves the World Cafe which is a buffet, albeit with some dishes cooked to order.

Am I correct? It seems odd not being able to dinner eat in a 'proper' restaurant on a luxury cruise.

Thanks
Dave

On the Octantis last February, we had no problem making reservations each morning for the Restaurant or Manfredi’s. I think most people on the expedition ships want to stay in their expedition clothes so they tend to eat in the World Cafe where the food has more options than the ocean ships. We, too, prefer sitting down in the evenings and being served. We ate in the Restaurant or Manfredi’s every night but one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not on Octantis, but on Polaris (same configuration), we were able to make reservations in the restaurant and Manfredi's every day we wanted. Some days didn't make reservations until 4-5 in the afternoon. We thought as you, that we prefer sit down service, and generally we do, but found that the WC on the expedition ships to be very relaxed atmosphere, never crowded or "frantic" and the Grill in the WC was fantastic with cooked to order steaks and lobster. From the Grill, there was generally a server that would ask where you were sitting and bring our food to our table after we ordered. Also, the variety of selections was great and allowed us to sample a little bit of everything. In either case, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Like 1