Hurtigruten Random Impressions

anaco_angler

Hello from Australia, I've really enjoyed reading all your posts & information .

We are thinking of doing this trip next year in February.  I imagine February weather is much the same as December & very much different to our Australian summer weather 😄

• Like 1

Yes, the weather will be much different from your Australian summer weather, but February should have more hours of daylight than December. I think you will appreciate that. Some of the Hurtigruten Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen cruises are astronomy cruises. Those who are interested in astronomy book those particular sailings and they will have daily lectures as well as a resident astronomer on board. I believe there's an additional fare for those in the astronomy group (a small number of the total passengers on board) but in our experience, the astronomer will also have some lectures for the general public and he will be alert to when the Northern Lights are expected to be visible. The astronomer on our sailing was very generous with his knowledge, including best practices for photographing the Northern Lights. It was an unexpected bonus to be on that sailing.

As for the cold, yes, it can be very cold and windy, layers are important as are hats and especially gloves. Make sure you have gloves you can use while taking photos, especially if you're using a cellphone. Taking your gloves off in order to take photos is a recipe for very cold hands and potential frostbite. There are gloves which have touch-sensitive finger tips but be sure to try taking photos with those gloves before you get on deck. I had gloves, but not the right type. And if you're using a cellphone for your photography, make sure you have it secured in a lanyard around your neck. That way you won't worry about dropping it, and you can put it back inside your jacket between sightings, preserving your battery.

2 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

Yes, the weather will be much different from your Australian summer weather, but February should have more hours of daylight than December. I think you will appreciate that. Some of the Hurtigruten Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen cruises are astronomy cruises. Those who are interested in astronomy book those particular sailings and they will have daily lectures as well as a resident astronomer on board. I believe there's an additional fare for those in the astronomy group (a small number of the total passengers on board) but in our experience, the astronomer will also have some lectures for the general public and he will be alert to when the Northern Lights are expected to be visible. The astronomer on our sailing was very generous with his knowledge, including best practices for photographing the Northern Lights. It was an unexpected bonus to be on that sailing.

As for the cold, yes, it can be very cold and windy, layers are important as are hats and especially gloves. Make sure you have gloves you can use while taking photos, especially if you're using a cellphone. Taking your gloves off in order to take photos is a recipe for very cold hands and potential frostbite. There are gloves which have touch-sensitive finger tips but be sure to try taking photos with those gloves before you get on deck. I had gloves, but not the right type. And if you're using a cellphone for your photography, make sure you have it secured in a lanyard around your neck. That way you won't worry about dropping it, and you can put it back inside your jacket between sightings, preserving your battery.

Frostbite doesn't sound good. Thanks for the info. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:49 AM, anaco_angler said:

With regard to my original observation that excursions are expensive, that was simply my personal impression, nothing more. For example, in Tromsø, the following excursions were offered while the ship was in port 14:15-18:00: The arctic capital Tromsø NOK 1880; Dog sledding NOK 3290; Polar history walk NOK 1071; Cross-country skiing NOK1701; and Snowshoeing in Tromsø NOK 1701. 
On reflection, however, Hurtigruten has arranged for these activities to be enjoyed during the period when the ship is in port. It would be nearly impossible for an individual to arrange a private tour to fit the ship's schedule, so comparing the Hurtigruten prices with those for private tours is probably unfair. We have taken three excursions during our trip and we felt we got good value for each one. The arrangements were seamless, the guides were professional, the scenery was stunning, and when food was included, it was exceptional. The tour we took in Ålesund, Tastes and traditions in Hjørundford, cost NOK 2490 pp but it was among the best shore excursions we have ever taken. It was expensive but worth it. Just think of it as part of the package. 

The excursion prices are comparable to other cruise lines on Norway cruises or maybe even lower.

Was there on Princess in November and the excursion prices listed above are actually less. Dog sledding was $350 USD.   when we where there snow showing and cross country skiing was not offered but the lowest price excursion offered by Princess was $180 for a tour of the cathedral, museum and Arctic Center.  Considering the exchange rate  the prices for excursions you listed do not seem to be unusually high.

• Thanks 2