Duty Free or Liquor Store?

PasadenaDave

We are flying in Auckland on Monday and will join Viking Orion on Tuesday.  There are a number of liquor stores near our hotel.  We usually buy a bottle of gin and sometimes bourbon to take on board which Viking allows.  My question is, how are taxes in New Zealand?  Does it make sense to buy at Duty Free or is the hassle of carrying more weight from the airport not worth the savings?

You'll save pocket change.. which in $USD will be even less. Sometimes the duty-free have buy 2 or 3 and get a saving.. but per bottle they're about the same as you will pay in an average bottle store. Google liquorland NZ for prices if you like and google duty free NZ and compare.. but there's nothing much in it. 

12 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

You'll save pocket change.. which in $USD will be even less. Sometimes the duty-free have buy 2 or 3 and get a saving.. but per bottle they're about the same as you will pay in an average bottle store. Google liquorland NZ for prices if you like and google duty free NZ and compare.. but there's nothing much in it. 

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  I also prefer giving business to local in town businesses 

• Like 1