Port of Call & Cruise passengers embarking at the same port

LindaMc

Does anyone know how things work when you have a port of call (Melbourne) but at the same time it is the embarkation for a lot of other cruise passengers? We have a 20 night cruise round trip from Adelaide, Australia. We stop off at Melbourne twice during this cruise, and both times passengers will be embarking (or disembarking) the ship.  There are only two tours offered in Melbourne with Princess and those are for people who are disembarking and going to the airport. We plan to leave the ship and explore Melbourne. But, does anyone know the procedure for cruisers leaving the ship and coming back on the same day new passengers are arriving? I know I can ask when board, but I am trying to make a few plans and if anyone has done this please let me know. I'm most interested in how early we will be able to walk off the ship. I called Princess but the call taker didn't understand my question.   Thank you! 

Not sure about Melbourne, but typically if you leave the ship in the morning, you will not be allowed back on until embarkation starts.  You will be given a piece of paper referred to as a Transit card.  This allows you to pass any check in areas when coming back so make sure you take it with you.  Your Medallion should be dated for your whole voyage so you would not need a new one or need to have you photo done again. 

I've had this process in many port but not Australia - could be diff there.  

• Like 1

Unless the ship is sailing to New Zealand, it will be like a normal port day for you. In transit guests can choose to leave the ship and return when they like.

If the ship is sailing to New Zealand, all in transit passengers must disembark and go through customs to reboard. Once you go back onboard, you can’t disembark again to spend time in Melbourne that day. You’re considered to have left Australia once you board the ship.