Sri Lanka. Colombo 22 March 24

miniyorkie

Hello. Just been looking at the Roll call comments and posts re the  Arcadia world cruise and related segments of this cruise. We are joining in Hong Kong ( 2 nights  hotel stay pre cruise) and disembark in Dubai ( 3 night hotel post cruise stay). Do we need to apply  for ETA for the 1 day the ship is in Colombo? I have not been given any information but now I am wondering if it's our responsibility, if required, or does P.O sort this on board. Thank you for any advice. Never been to this part of the world and it's rather daunting, especially with the "fending for ourselves" aspects involved pre/ post cruise but didn't want to go to HK and not have any  time to actually see HK or have time in Dubai and just transit to fly back to UK. Any other advice most welcome however trivial. Thank you 

Yes you will need an ETA for Sri Lanka which you should be able to apply for now at a cost of around £45 per person and you have to will need to complete an arrival card seven days before arrival. As to whether P&O will do it I cannot say but personally I would make sure that I have "all my ducks in row" before setting off.

I know this for a fact as I will be in Sri Lanka in March, not with P&O but another cruise line, and have already done my ETA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miniyorkie said:

Thank you David. I assume the 48 hrs transit visa is sufficient. 

Not sure - you will need to read the details of that particular visa. I was applying for several visas and they all had different requirements but from memory I don't think that the transit visa is sufficient for a cruise ship visit.

My rule of thumb when applying for visas is to go for the highest level one as that normally covers all scenarios as one thing that has to be allowed for is the unexpected.

===============================

Why does someone from Lancashire have "yorkie" in their name?😉

Edited by david63

11 hours ago, miniyorkie said:

Hello. Just been looking at the Roll call comments and posts re the  Arcadia world cruise and related segments of this cruise. We are joining in Hong Kong ( 2 nights  hotel stay pre cruise) and disembark in Dubai ( 3 night hotel post cruise stay). Do we need to apply  for ETA for the 1 day the ship is in Colombo? I have not been given any information but now I am wondering if it's our responsibility, if required, or does P.O sort this on board. Thank you for any advice. Never been to this part of the world and it's rather daunting, especially with the "fending for ourselves" aspects involved pre/ post cruise but didn't want to go to HK and not have any  time to actually see HK or have time in Dubai and just transit to fly back to UK. Any other advice most welcome however trivial. Thank you 

We joined a cruise ship in Sri Lanka in February 2020, having been there on holiday a couple of times as well.  The situation regards the ETS's may have changed, but it was the case that there was a difference if you where joining or leaving a ship there, or if you were just having a call into the port, remaining on the ship. 

I hope you enjoy the holiday.  Both Hing Kong and Dubai are very easy places to stay on an independent basis, we have done both, (more than once in Dubai), though must admit with the current Red Sea situation, I do wonder if the ship may be re re-routed regards Dubai.  If so, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Edited by tring

21 minutes ago, david63 said:

Not sure - you will need to read the details of that particular visa. I was applying for several visas and they all had different requirements but from memory I don't think that the transit visa is sufficient for a cruise ship visit.

My rule of thumb when applying for visas is to go for the highest level one as that normally covers all scenarios as one thing that has to be allowed for is the unexpected.

===============================

Why does someone from Lancashire have "yorkie" in their name?😉

Lol. Because I am from Yorkshire originally..... and as they say you can never take Yorkshire out of the girl. Will cover all bases re the ETA. Cheers.