Colon Cruise Port Embarkation

PutnamNY

Can anyone share their embarkation experience on Explora 1 at Colon? We will be staying overnight at Panama City and heading to Colon on embarkation day. Hopefully we can find a good car service or agency that can give us a tour of the locks before taking us to the cruise terminal. 

(The reason for this question, I read somewhere else that Colon is a bit on the seedy side and need to be careful)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 6:46 PM, PutnamNY said:

Can anyone share their embarkation experience on Explora 1 at Colon? We will be staying overnight at Panama City and heading to Colon on embarkation day. Hopefully we can find a good car service or agency that can give us a tour of the locks before taking us to the cruise terminal. 

(The reason for this question, I read somewhere else that Colon is a bit on the seedy side and need to be careful)

Why don't you use a guide from Tours by Locals.  They can do both a tour and drop off at the port.

Yes, Colon is definitely on the "seedy side" and not a very safe area, once you leave the relative safety of the port.  I believe the port was actually developed with CCL (Carnival) money and there is an adjacent shopping area, bar, etc.  Going there from elsewhere in Panama should be fine as long as the OP has a car/driver who drops them inside the port.

Hank

We felt safe  but did not walk around Just got back had excursions with Viator gave our name to Thomas 

When we got there saw my name on placard  went with tour took us to different village than had booked with Viator and wanted us to pay him already paid Viator pd him

Thomas tried to contact us at 9:15 TOUR was at 7:15

Viator will not reimburse us