We Lucked Out in Cartegena ... Great "Unplanned" Tour of the City's Highlights

ajtraveler66

Our original plan in Cartagena was to rent a taxi and then go on to the walled city.  But as we came out of the port area we were 'politely encouraged' to take a tour by solicitation.  They told us the cost ($40 per pereson) and showed us the things that we would see.  We all looked at one another (our party of four) and decided ... 'what the heck, let's do it'.  The tour was fast-paced and we saw many things.  At the end we were taken to a restaurant where we had a wonderful meal (and, of course, the meal was not included...and we expected that).

So I guess what I'm saying here is don't be afraid to go with an excursion not offered by the ship.  Someone named Grey organized our group of 8....but then someone else took over as guide a few blocks later .... his name escapes me, but he was very good and very knowledgeable.

We took a risk, and luckily we won.  Had I known what I know now, I probably would have researched online to find a reputable tour guide in advance.  I do remember hearing great things about Dora (not to take away from the one that we took).  As I said, we just took the plunge and ended up lucking out.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO ... Don't miss the Walled City of Cartegena.  And be sure to spend some quality time in the bird area near the port on your return.  That, in and of itself, is a nice excursion just right off the ship.