New To P&O

Chrisclaire

Hi Everyone!

We are considering a Caribbean Cruise on Arvia in Feb 2025.

We have only ever sailed Celebrity, but are interested in trying a different cruise line/ship.

The itinerary we are looking at leaves Barbados around 14th Feb.

My question is, can anyone advise if this is a particularly busy time with children?

I'm assuming some may even be on a similar sailing at the moment!

Thanks in advance.

February half-term 2025:

All of Wales:  Mon 24 Feb - Fri 28 Feb

Essex: Mon 17 Feb - Fri 21 Feb 

Durham: Mon 24 Feb - Fri 28 Feb

I’ve checked Essex and Durham as being representative of South/North as I know from experience that Northern England tends to have the same Feb half term as Wales. Scotland is another different story, as you probably know!

I presume your cruise is a 14 nighter, and in theory, children in state schools shouldn’t really be off school for a fortnight. The reality is however very different (and a bl…y nuisance for secondary school teachers as I well remember), and I imagine that a lot will take their children out of school for 14 days of educational experiences (sun) in February! 

Do you want to avoid children or just avoid a busy cruise? Iona Feb term last year was heaving! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

February half-term 2025:

All of Wales:  Mon 24 Feb - Fri 28 Feb

Essex: Mon 17 Feb - Fri 21 Feb 

Durham: Mon 24 Feb - Fri 28 Feb

I’ve checked Essex and Durham as being representative of South/North as I know from experience that Northern England tends to have the same Feb half term as Wales. Scotland is another different story, as you probably know!

I presume your cruise is a 14 nighter, and in theory, children in state schools shouldn’t really be off school for a fortnight. The reality is however very different (and a bl…y nuisance for secondary school teachers as I well remember), and I imagine that a lot will take their children out of school for 14 days of educational experiences (sun) in February! 

Do you want to avoid children or just avoid a busy cruise? Iona Feb term last year was heaving! 

Thanks for your response!  Was it a Caribbean cruise on Iona? The agent told me that they are not as busy with children in comparison to the Canaries etc 

I understand that the cruise will be busy and it's a massive ship compared to what we are used to.

Very keen to try P&O, but certainly don't want it mega busy with children 🫣

• Like 1

When booking a cruise the first two passengers pay full price depending on cabin grade.  If you then need to book 3rd and 4th passengers in possibly children they ten to be booked at a far cheaper rate.  Once you start looking at the Caribbean 3rd and 4th passengers each need a seat on the aircraft both ways. The latter is quite expensive and explains why parents tend not to take their children to the Caribbean in large numbers.

Regards John

• Haha 1