Reporting In: San Diego to Papeete

Stereojeff

Yes, we're just back from Serenity and can happily report it's the same cruise experience we had in 2019 and earlier years with only a few exceptions. The ship's decor seems the same to me. Perhaps it's my lack of perception, but I failed to see signs of renewal but neither did I see signs of decline. Service continues to be the friendliest imaginable with familiar personnel committed to friendliness and joy.

In general, food is as good and perhaps better than before. I miss the large assigned tables in Waterside as we always loved meeting new cruisers but, happily for us, we met several couples we knew from the old days and renewed those friendships.

The performing and musical talent on-board continues to impress and we saw one new show, a combination of a Shakesperean farce, West Side Story and Rent that was very good. The sonic design of many of  the presentations continues to rankle my audio sensibilities as the sound is compressed with the "soft" segments nearly as loud as the crescendos. I found earplugs necessary at times. I did not like the single 9:30 PM showtimes. Apparently I was not alone as beginning with the next segment starting time is moved to 9:00 PM.

We liked Umi Uma and Osteria but clearly, Osteria is not a hit as reservations were scarcely required for the second half of our trip. Waterside remains good and reliable for both lunch and dinner. However, as we neared the end of our voyage I suspect attendance at all the "Premium" venues lagged  as Waterside became more crowded and service there slowed.

The lecturers were uniformly good. One could argue they were not up to previous standards but previously we were treated to genuine "world class" talent. No one was that good on this cruise.

Those who expected the Abercrombie and Kent association would transform shore excursions were wrong. This batch continued to be dominated by local availability and were mostly mundane.

It will be interesting to compare this experience with our upcoming cruise on Silversea. I'll report back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Currently on board WC.

Numbers are up in Osteria. Reason: Lasagna has reappeared on the menu for the last three nights. With other favorites  to follow. Will this be a temporary or continued change. That is the question.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2