Solstice penthouse or Apex royal suite

4 hours ago, billc23 said:

One nice perk that I have experienced when staying in the S class PH is a no extra charge cabana to be used every day! Nice place for drinks/lunch and just enjoying your time. I'm not sure if this is still offered and it is not listed anywhere that I know of. 

I had never heard of this.  Can anyone give more information?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, billc23 said:

PH every time for me...

Why?? Well, in my opinion...

If you plan on spending time in your room I would go for the PH on S class. I have been in the E class RS twice (will not book again) and prefer the S class RS. I find so many design failures in the E class RS. Take a look at the layout and photos on Cruise deck Plans and notice the limited living area compared to bedroom/bathroom area. Also, there is very little isolation between the sleeping and living space - translucent doors! I find the living area nicer in the RS on the S class and the entire layout more functional and comfortable. The E class PH was very nice with great isolation between living and sleeping area, but I didn't need the second bedroom - so that was wasted space for me.

The PH on the S class you are asking about is excellent! Great space for living, sleeping, and entertaining! You will receive elevated attention compared to staying in a RS. I will be in the PH on the Solstice beginning in a week and I am looking forward to it. Part of my sailing will be a transpacific so the central location is best for movement. The balcony is fine for me, certainly not like the M class, but the room is nicer overall. One nice perk that I have experienced when staying in the S class PH is a no extra charge cabana to be used every day! Nice place for drinks/lunch and just enjoying your time. I'm not sure if this is still offered and it is not listed anywhere that I know of. 

I find the E class much more spectacular looking but not as comfortable. The Ascent has improved over the Apex and I still find more comfortable seating on the S class. The E class has so many suites that I find the lounge and Luminae not as nice as on the S class. The E class sundeck is way better than the non existent or retrofitted ones on the M/S class. E class has much more in the way of specialty dining options. You can book Murano every day on the S class and they will make off menu items so that may be of some consolation. 

If the choice was PH to PH then I would probably book the E class mainly because I have not sailed that class very much. However, RS vs PH on the ships you considering? PH all the way for me! I am not sure of the pricing on these sailings but you may want to consider a true luxury line like Regent or Silversea. There are many threads addressing Celebrity Retreat vs luxury lines that may be worth reading. I really enjoy sailing on Celebrity and enjoy the luxury lines more at this point in my life - and they are often less expensive. Each has their benefits and if you ever do a Panama Canal sailing the M class PH is the best! I'm happy to answer specific questions.

Thanks for the insight. Yes we did the penthouse for the Panama Canal sailing and hosted a huge party for our cruise critic group. It was even more awesome because we became good friends with the couple in the other penthouse often having dinner together so it was double the VIP service when they saw us enter a restaurant lol. 
as for the cabana thing I had not heard of that so please let me know if that’s still the case !

Edited by JayJennyFL

10 hours ago, peanut head said:

I had never heard of this.  Can anyone give more information?

Happened on the Reflection in January 2023. The cabanas closest to the restaurant were labeled  "Reserved for Reflection Suite" and "Reserved for Penthouse". They offered drinks and food from a special cabana menu in addition to the Grill menu. Much nicer to me than the Retreat sundeck menu. As far as I know it is up to the person in charge of the cabanas and that person was The Grill's manager on the Reflection. I'll see what happens next week on the Solstice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1