Hotel suggestions in Tokyo.

Cruise5life

Going to spend an extra day in Tokyo after a cruise.   
wondering what would be a good hotel that’s close to sights. 
And maybe has an airport shuttle.      HND.    
TIA.  

Think about booking hotel Nikko (Okura) close to Narita airport (very regular shuttle to airport with railway station) and visiting Tokyo from the hotel. Nice hotel, comfortable rooms, better price and size compared to hotels in town. And in our opinion perfect connection by train (If I remember well, less than 30 minutes.).  And in addition: perfect for the departure next day.

@CHPURSERThanks for the corrected time for travelling from Narita to Tokyo. Before our cruise I calculated the difference in time from hotels in Tokyo to the locations we planned to visit and with Nikko Narita. In our case travelling from a Tokyo hotel to catch our flight in the morning was part of the decision to book Nikko.

LOL I was trying to understand why folks suggest hotels close to Narita, since the OP is flying out of Haneda :).  And by the way, folks heading to Tokyo might want to consider that Haneda is much more convenient to both Tokyo and the various Tokyo-Yokohama cruise ports.

Where to stay?  It really depends on the priorities of the OP and the time of their flight out of HND.  If I had only one night, and a relatively early flight out of HND (morning or early afternoon) I would probably opt for one of the hotels near HND that gives easy access to the metro/train that could get me into Tokyo.  It may not be worth the hassle to trek all the way into Tokyo for a single night, and then need to deal with the traffic and ride out to HND the following morning.  

On the other hand, if one is willing to deal with the transportation cost/hassles, and prefers to be in Tokyo, then the options are nearly endless since one can arrange a transfer to HND from any hotel.  In fact, the last time we were in Tokyo (May) we simply grabbed a taxi from HND to our Shinjuku hotel.  While it did cost us more then using a bus transfer or any shared transfer, the convenience and speed made it worthwhile.  And consider that Shujinku is relatively far from HND in terms of a Tokyo location.  We chose Sinjuku for the simple reason that we wanted to spend a few nights in that particular neighborhood (like most large cities, Tokyo is a city of neighborhoods).  

And that gets back to the OPs post where they mention being close to the "sights."  We would answer that question with a question of our own which is "what sights?"  There are many in Tokyo and they are spread around the city.  Do you want to be near the Imperial Palace, Asakusa, Ueno, etc.  No right or wrong, just personal preference and which sights the OP wants to visit.  Also keep in mind that Tokyo has an excellent public transit system (both Metro and Rail) which makes moving around to various sites relatively easy (although it does take time).

Hank

What level of hotel are you looking for?  

When we travel to Japan, we occasionally stay at Toyoko Inns and APA Hotels.  They are both chains with many locations across the country and multiple locations in major cities.  However, their rooms are generally tiny.  Comparatively, a cruise ship inside cabin is huge compare to their rooms.  😄  

Toyoko Inns seem to host a lot of tour groups.  Comes with free (basic) Japanese breakfast.  Free Internet.  

APA Hotels seem a bit more modern.  Additional charge for breakfast.  Free Internet.  

Note: Both chains have many hotels so the quaility may vary a bit across each individual location so you need to do your research.  

I think they both allocate some rooms to smoking and non-smoking.  I also think they generally try to have everyone out of the hotel in the late morning/early afternoon because they have the bulk of their housekeeping staff in to do a mass turnover of rooms within this window.

Both have had some corporate controversies.  Google them if this may sway your decision.