Disembarkation in Barcelona

katiebeth

Good Morning!      I am seeking input/information on disembarkation in Barcelona.      We are on Oceania Sirena (London to Barcelona) cruise departing on May 3rd.       We arrive in Barcelona on May 15th at 7:00 am and disembarkation begins at 8:00 a.m.

My husband and myself will be traveling with our adult daughter.     She has a flight scheduled on the day of disembarkation from Barcelona to Atlanta departing at 11:30 am.      My husband and I will be flying from Barcelona to Mallorca early afternoon to spend 3 days.    We have visited Barcelona in the past (beautiful city) and have a wedding to attend in Mallora.

Obviously, the 11:30 am flight is not ideal but it is a non-stop flight and she used airline points for her fare so times were somewhat limited.    We have never flown out on the day of disembarkation but circumstances dictated it on this particular cruise.

I have read that it takes about 30 minutes to get from the port to the airport in Barcelona.    I am wondering about the airport itself and how long it normally takes to get thru immigration and security?    

I would appreciate any information for those who have knowledge/experience with the process.   

Also, if anyone has recommendations for a reliable private transfer service from the port to the airport, that would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S.    My Travel Agent spoke with Oceania and they told her that the earliest time recommended for flying out of Barcelona is 11:00 am.

Thank  you in advance for your input.        Nancy

The public taxi service advertises 30 minutes as the standard time. At that time of the morning, that sounds about right. There is a fixed tariff for city taxis, €45 (per taxi not per person) from cruise terminal to airport. Whether this would be slower or quicker than any other service remains an open question. Usually, there are plenty of passengers awaiting plenty of taxis.  The distance is just over 15 kms. There are plenty of "unofficial" taxi services and shuttles that can be booked in advance.

You can always buy fast track through security at €10 more or less. We've used this service in similar, hurried circumstances, and it works well.

https://www.aena.es/en/josep-tarradellas-barcelona-el-prat/vip-services/fast-lane.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elbowroom said:

WOW!    Thank you so much for your helpful tip on fast tracking thru security!  We travel a lot but was not aware of this option.    I appreciate it!    Nancy

You can always buy fast track through security at €10 more or less. We've used this service in similar, hurried circumstances, and it works well.

https://www.aena.es/en/josep-tarradellas-barcelona-el-prat/vip-services/fast-lane.html

We got a taxi from right outside the terminal building, where there were lots waiting. No need to consider a private transfer, IMO. I think your daughter should be fine, although it will be tight, so make sure you disembark (bringing your luggage with you) as soon as possible. 

Enjoy Mallorca - somewhere we've often holidayed (including last September) and we have family members who originate from the island. 

An 11:30 flight should be fine.  I agree with Harters that handling her own luggage off the ship is recommended. Don't bother booking a private transfer or Oceania transfer because there will be plenty of taxis at the port. We didn't have to wait for one.  We were also on Sirena.

We flew United out of Barcelona and they don't open the check-in counter until 3 hours before departure.  The Barcelona airport is large and busy.  It took us probably 20 minutes to get through security and another 10 minutes for immigration but it shouldn't be a problem making the 11:30 flight. 

Enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, katiebeth said:

Good Morning!      I am seeking input/information on disembarkation in Barcelona.      We are on Oceania Sirena (London to Barcelona) cruise departing on May 3rd.       We arrive in Barcelona on May 15th at 7:00 am and disembarkation begins at 8:00 a.m.

My husband and myself will be traveling with our adult daughter.     She has a flight scheduled on the day of disembarkation from Barcelona to Atlanta departing at 11:30 am.      My husband and I will be flying from Barcelona to Mallorca early afternoon to spend 3 days.    We have visited Barcelona in the past (beautiful city) and have a wedding to attend in Mallora.

Obviously, the 11:30 am flight is not ideal but it is a non-stop flight and she used airline points for her fare so times were somewhat limited.    We have never flown out on the day of disembarkation but circumstances dictated it on this particular cruise.

I have read that it takes about 30 minutes to get from the port to the airport in Barcelona.    I am wondering about the airport itself and how long it normally takes to get thru immigration and security?    

I would appreciate any information for those who have knowledge/experience with the process.   

Also, if anyone has recommendations for a reliable private transfer service from the port to the airport, that would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S.    My Travel Agent spoke with Oceania and they told her that the earliest time recommended for flying out of Barcelona is 11:00 am.

Thank  you in advance for your input.        Nancy

We were in a similar situation this past summer.  United had moved our flight up to 11:45am.  Everything went like clockwork and we made it with time to spare.  I am sure you realize that not everything always goes like clockwork.  The biggest problems are if the ship gets delayed in docking which can and does happen and the check in line at the airport - especially if your daughter is in economy.  We were in business class and the line was much shorter.  We let Oceania know about the early flight time and they let us disembark in the first group.  We left the ship at about 8:15am and our bags were available.  We had booked transfers with Oceania and the bus left about 8:40am.  If you can be one of the first off the ship a taxi or private company will probably save you time.   Yes, it is about a 30 minute ride to the Barcelona airport.  We got there about 9:15am.  It took us about 30 minutes to check in but again we were in business class.  I don’t know what the wait time would have been if we were in the main cabin.  Barcelona has a fast pass security lane and there was virtually no waiting.   I don’t know what the wait would have been through regular security.  I believe that anyone can buy a pass through the fast pass lane and your daughter should probably do that.  We got to the gate at about 10:30am.

Hope this helps.

David