Cartegena, Colombia

GotMINI

Cruising to Cartegena?  I just went there Feb 2024 on Celebrity Edge for the first time. Before going, I was told that this port city was not necessarily known for it's beaches (which is what we typically do when get off ship at a port), but to go and see the Old City and New City.  We booked a private tour with Wilson E. at Tours by Locals (look up the website online).  I gave him a 5 star rating!  Great 4-1/2 hr tour.  Nice transportation. Very knowledgeable. Personable.  Spoke English very well.  Felt safe with him. Etc.  

Also, I had read a lot of negative reviews about the vendors and especially the rappers in Cargtegenga tourist areas who would come up into your face and practically demand money.  Wilson told us that at the beginning of the year, there was a newly elected government who was cracking down on the crimes/vendors.  We did not see any of those rappers, and while there were still quite a bit of vendors, they were just trying to make money and a simple "no thank you" would send them on their way.  One nice thing, too, being with Wilson, he helped us negotiate if/when we did want to buy something. 

So - passing on this recommendation!   You will not be disappointed.    

• Thanks 1