Kusadasi - no NCL tours & in port until lunchtime

Hello, would love to visit Ephesus but such a short time in port and no tours on the app with NCL.  Anyone here had a similar short port stop & were you able to get there?  After all the noise about the non NCL tour issues in Africa has made me wary of going alone

I’m having the same issue with a cruise this fall. Excursions are listed for every port but Ephesus. I’ve been to Ephesus years ago on the Jade. It was a full day tour, however, that included Mary’s house and lunch.  This time our ship will only be in port until 1:30 pm!

I contacted NCL and was told that they were working on the matter and would soon list tours! My best guess is they are still trying to figure it out. I’ve been advised not to pick a private tour, because the desired locations are kind of far from the port, and it would be risky given the short time we’ll be there. 

Have you asked on the Port of Call (Europe/Other Med) about this port?  It’s been years since my last visit, but I used Ephesus Shuttle on two occasions and was very impressed with the tour and guide.  They worked with me to see what I wanted to see and excluded what I didn’t want (turkey rug factory). For the price I recommend a private tour. 

Posted (edited)

Unless it is personally significant to you, I'd recommend skipping Mary's house (our tour guide described this as allegedly Mary's house).  I'd also recommend skipping the rug factory, especially if you are short on time.  Talk to the private guides about your port time and see if they can make it work.  IF you are really nervous about time, you can book a private tour for just your family.  Those tours you control the itinerary and can go back to the ship whenever you feel safe and don't need to wait for the group or tour guide to be ready to leave (I've done a lot of private t ours and whenever we say "thanks its been a great tour we'd like to go back to the ship now" they are happy to bring us back right away.  Or you can post on your roll call looking for other people who are similarly concerned about time to agree on a short tour that ends at a specific time.  Good luck!

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Of the two tours I’d arranged thru Ephesus Shuttle I opened the first to my roll call. All agreed up front on the itinerary. Alas, as we left Ephesus the guide did ask if we’d like to see a rug factory. Yep, one couple chimed in with an emphatic “Yes”.

Needless to say my next visit was just immediate family. It’s been years and I know prices have gone up for tours, but it seems the difference for four people wasn’t much more than 16 per person. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Girr said:

Of the two tours I’d arranged thru Ephesus Shuttle I opened the first to my roll call. All agreed up front on the itinerary. Alas, as we left Ephesus the guide did ask if we’d like to see a rug factory. Yep, one couple chimed in with an emphatic “Yes”.

Needless to say my next visit was just immediate family. It’s been years and I know prices have gone up for tours, but it seems the difference for four people wasn’t much more than 16 per person. 

So sorry about that!  That is a really good point, plus you need to worry about what to do if people in the other group are late.  

We actually also do private tours for just our family because we have three kids (youngest is 5) and don't want to ruin anyone else's tour if our kids hit their limit.

Edited by kitkat343

Just keep in mind when deciding to visit Mary's house or not, this was allegedly the house of Mary Magdalene, not Mary the mother of Jesus.  That may sway your desire to go there.  There are some accounts that she travelled with St. John the Baptist (St. John the Evangelist) to Selçuk next to Ephesus, and would, by that account, have a home in the area.  St. John's basilica is another tourist location next to Ephesus.

6 minutes ago, Nilbog said:

Just keep in mind when deciding to visit Mary's house or not, this was allegedly the house of Mary Magdalene, not Mary the mother of Jesus.  That may sway your desire to go there.  There are some accounts that she travelled with St. John the Baptist (St. John the Evangelist) to Selçuk next to Ephesus, and would, by that account, have a home in the area.  St. John's basilica is another tourist location next to Ephesus.

I’m sorry, but you are mistaken. It’s called Meryem Ana Evi (mother Mary’s house). Recall in the scriptures, Jesus’s words from the cross to both John and Mary, “Mother behold your son. Son behold your mother.” It is believed that John took Mary with him to Ephesus. 

Whether you really believe it’s Mary’s original house is another question. I’ve been there, and it was a positive experience. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

I’m sorry, but you are mistaken. It’s called Meryem Ana Evi (mother Mary’s house). Recall in the scriptures, Jesus’s words from the cross to both John and Mary, “Mother behold your son. Son behold your mother.” It is believed that John took Mary with him to Ephesus. 

You are correct.  34 years has wiped too much of my memory and I relied too much on Google.  This IS said to be the house of the Virgin Mary.

2015_01_04_09_37_010025.thumb.jpg.f34ddf72c6e7c747f808ff7cc587708a.jpg2015_01_04_09_37_010023.thumb.jpg.e5990e49e22d803921f225cb7671606d.jpg

(I apologize for this being upside down, it's not letting me rotate it.)

3 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

We actually also do private tours for just our family because we have three kids (youngest is 5) and don't want to ruin anyone else's tour if our kids hit their limit.

I fully understand, only in my case it’s two old curmudgeons (70 and 84). When they’re “done” they are DONE — just head on back. 
Some things never change. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nilbog said:

You are correct.  34 years has wiped too much of my memory and I relied too much on Google.  This IS said to be the house of the Virgin Mary.

2015_01_04_09_37_010025.thumb.jpg.f34ddf72c6e7c747f808ff7cc587708a.jpg2015_01_04_09_37_010023.thumb.jpg.e5990e49e22d803921f225cb7671606d.jpg

(I apologize for this being upside down, it's not letting me rotate it.)

No worries! Some do believe that Mary Madeleine may have travelled to Ephesus to live with the Virgin Mary.

Lastly, you mention John the Baptist. He preceded Jesus (was born BC).  John the disciple is a totally different person, who allegedly brought the mother of Jesus to Ephesus. It’s John the disciple’s basilica that is in Ephesus. His gravesite is still there, but the body was plundered.

The sites (like many others in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia Minor) are wonderful to visit from a religious and historical prospective! 

Edited by roddy good boy

Getting back to the original question: since we have limited time in port, we will likely just visit the ancient city of Ephesus (if we hire a private guide). Hopefully, NCL will post some tours soon and we can compare itinerary’s and pricing. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input, really want to visit Ephesus and fingers crossed NCL organise some coaches/guides and if not I will contact Ephesus shuttle and I have no interest in visiting a rug factory!