Riviera vrs Silver Muse Japan cruise

texasskier

Would appreciate opinions re choosing which ship.  Similar itinerary and similar accomodations (Oceania PH and similar sized cabin on Silver Muse) and similar cost since we  don’t drink much alcohol. We have sailed both lines pre Covid but the reviews recently on Silverseas have been generally downbeat with the new emphasis on cutting quality and raising prices.  

I posted a comparison a while ago:

If PH price is similar, I would go with O. You get more perks, larger cabin, better food, comparable service. Especially considering you don't drink much, so included alcohol on SS is not a factor.  

• Thanks 1

Several years ago we did a silver seas cruise shortly after a cruise on the Marina.  Our personal observations were

- ship.  Preferred Oceania as it was slightly larger but felt less crowded even though the passenger count was higher on O

- staff  Call it a wash. One thing we found is the butler service on SS was of little value to us and we rarely saw them/used them. Saw her on embarkation day and then the night before getting off. 

- food  - definite win for O.  More options and food seemed fresher for some reason

- Entertainment - neither offered mega ship level entertainment (not expected to) but there seemed to be a bit more on O

- Ports - seemed way easier/faster to get on/off SS vs O (driven by passenger numbers ?)

If ports are basically the same and costs are similar I would pick Oceania

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thx for the advice.  We are leaning toward Oceania as well.  Would your opinion change if we substituted Silver Nova for Silver Muse?   Also:   post Covid have both cruise lines ( Seabourn as well) lost some of their panache due to staff cutbacks and the bean counters at corporate?  Your thoughts appreciated.

Perhaps someone else can comment with current experience on the specific ships as I can't do that. 

Both SS and O deliver very good/excellent products and services. We are looking forward to our June cruise on Riviera and I am going to try and avoid "looking" for how things may or may not have changed. Each trip is unique and thats the way we want it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

Several years ago we did a silver seas cruise shortly after a cruise on the Marina.  Our personal observations were

- ship.  Preferred Oceania as it was slightly larger but felt less crowded even though the passenger count was higher on O

- staff  Call it a wash. One thing we found is the butler service on SS was of little value to us and we rarely saw them/used them. Saw her on embarkation day and then the night before getting off. 

- food  - definite win for O.  More options and food seemed fresher for some reason

- Entertainment - neither offered mega ship level entertainment (not expected to) but there seemed to be a bit more on O

- Ports - seemed way easier/faster to get on/off SS vs O (driven by passenger numbers ?)

If ports are basically the same and costs are similar I would pick Oceania

1 hour ago, thebsinmiss said:

Perhaps someone else can comment with current experience on the specific ships as I can't do that. 

Both SS and O deliver very good/excellent products and services. We are looking forward to our June cruise on Riviera and I am going to try and avoid "looking" for how things may or may not have changed. Each trip is unique and thats the way we want it.

I would sign on every word that you said. This was exactly our conclusion. The problem is that for 2025, SS priced itself out of the market. In 2023/2024 you could find a fair amount of SS sailings with prices comparable or only slightly higher than O, but this is not the case anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1