Chinatown Suggestions Victoria Please

I honestly can't recommend any Chinese restos in Victoria - but then, my baseline for tastiness  is here in Vancouver! If you're on a Vancouver RT don't waste your time eating in Victoria when more and better is available pre/post cruise - Victoria has some good locavore western options, classic fish & chips, and several poutineries if you're looking for something different that might be another hard to find thing in your home area, but the Chinatown there is so tiny that all the restos are basically tourist traps.

Probably 90% of folks in that neck of the woods probably rank Jam Cafe as the best resto in the blocks immediately around Chinatown (personally I think it's extremely overrated and never worth the wait, so Swans brewpub would be where you'd find me dining nearby - although the food is very much a secondary concern compared to the beer, which is superb... their perfectly serviceable pub grub does help soak up the booze though!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 4:18 PM, Lakelife2017 said:

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Well... This is more of a quasi tourist attraction than a good restaurant suggestion but Loy Sing Meat Market.  It's noted as North America's oldest continuously running Chinese business since 1889.  

We were in Victoria last month for a wedding and decided to try it out while out for a walk along the waterfront and looping back by Chinatown.  It originally caught our attention at the beginning of the year when there were a bunch of news segments about the current owners wanting to retire and trying to find a new owner to keep the business running.

We shared a plate of bbq pork and roast pork on rice for about $13 or so.  It wasn't much to look at; just a big pile of pork cuts on rice.  It was reasonably tasty/solid but nothing to write home about.  The shop is kind of a hole in the wall (as it is a meat shop first) with a basic table and plastic chairs if you want to eat in.  They also sell some small bottles of chili crisp oil which is an easy souvenir.  The owners were pretty friendly making sure we were comfortable. Happy we visited and happy we supported this small biz.  YMMV depending on what you are looking for of course.

PXL_20240406_204932884a.jpg