Buying stock in a cruise company

Once upon a time on a cruise, we had a conversation with another passenger who happily shared one of his cruise bargain strategies -- scoring meaningful shareholder discounts becuase he had purchased shares in a cruise company.  I can't remember now which cruiseline family this was, but he had done  alot of research to optimize the greatest discount for his investment. 
Sound familiar?  Just thought I'd throw this topic out to see what others have to say!

it's typically an onboard credit. Royal caribbean, norwegian, and carnival have it for owning 100 shares. you can find what they offer on these boards and with an online search. 

Have recently bought 100 Carnival shares in anticipation of an upcoming Holland America TA. Cost approximately $1430. Will get $250 OBC on this trip. Had some Royal Caribbean in a fractional share plan I have with Stash. Then found out they will provide verification of ownership of the required 100 shares. So I’ve been buying more with them since I already had money in that stock. Will take me a bit to get to 100 but that’s ok (shares closed at $143.30 yesterday). The amount of OBC you get depends on how many days aboard. 

Also—if you have a Roth IRA you can invest some or all of it in stocks. As Roth is post tax money any money in the account including gains can be withdrawn without any additional taxes. Good option if you have a Roth that you are not planning on drawing on just yet. 

On 5/6/2024 at 2:42 PM, kaymoz said:

I can't remember now which cruiseline family this was, but he had done  alot of research to optimize the greatest discount for his investment. 
Sound familiar?  Just thought I'd throw this topic out to see what others have to say!

We bought 100 shares of CarnivalCL at about its highest (last week of December, 2019). My husband was retiring, and we had six cruises booked on HAL and Princess... None of which happened. Plus the stock price plummetted, and we didn't cruise for three years. But HAL is still our favorite line and we hope to someday recoup our losses!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 5:04 PM, crystalspin said:

We bought 100 shares of CarnivalCL at about its highest (last week of December, 2019). My husband was retiring, and we had six cruises booked on HAL and Princess... None of which happened. Plus the stock price plummetted, and we didn't cruise for three years. But HAL is still our favorite line and we hope to someday recoup our losses!

We were the opposite:  We bought Royal Caribbean stock during the pandemic, when stock was bargain-basement priced.  Not only have we had hundreds in OBC (claiming the OBC credit just requires an email), the stock price has increased exponentially.  

• Like 1