Ship Excursions

We are sailing on Ambition on 29th August, British Isles and Ireland. I like to plan our port days ahead of time, but there is no sign yet of what ship's excursions will be available. The website says we get info nearer the date. Can anyone let me know how much longer we will have to wait??

If anyone has any hints or suggestions of what we might do in the following ports, I'd be very grateful.

Kirkwall

Lerwick

Holyhead

Cobh

St Mary's

St Peter Port

Portsmouth

Newcastle

Cobh - easy to do on your own

Get the train to cork (station is on the pier)

Ferry to Spike Island and walk around island

St Peter Port - walking routes https://www.visitguernsey.com/experiences/hiking/hiking-routes/

Holyhead - very little to see in the port

tours go to the Welsh castles

On your own - walk in the Breakwater Country Park, even going as far as South Stack lighthouse

We sailed with Ambassador last year and had a stop in Kirkwall on the way to Iceland. There was an interesting variety of excursions available (Skara Brae etc) but we opted for one that included the Italian Chapel and the Churchill Barriers. It was a morning excursion including a stop for refreshments (scones with jam and cream and beautiful homemade shortbread) and we were back at the ship in time for some lunch and then took the shuttle into Kirkwall for a walk around in the afternoon.  I can't remember the cost but I'm sure it won't have been expensive (maybe £40-ish per person). 

We did the British Isles Explorer itinerary on Viking in 2018, and I arranged private tours on our Cruise Critic Roll Call for several of your ports.  All these are highly recommended.

Kirkwall – we did a custom tour with Red's Orkney Tours 

www.redsorkneytours.com  Scapa Flow (Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel), Stones of Sternness, Ness of Brodgar, Ring of Brodgar, Sara Brae and Skaill House, lunch at the Skara Brae Visitor Centre, Yesnaby, Stromness, and the Maeshowe Chambered Cairn.  In 2018 this cost £420 for 4 or £475 for 6.

Lerwick – Shetland Minibus Tours North Mainland Tour www.shetlandminibustours.co.uk/tours Mavis Grind, lunch at Braewick Café, views of the Cliffs of Eshaness and Ronas Roe, Sullom Voe and Dales Voe; stops for photo ops with Shetland Ponies.  In 2018 this cost £60 per person for 4-8.

Holyhead – Boutique Tours of North Wales Cwm Idwal Walk  www.boutiquetours.co.uk/holyhead-cruise-tours/  drive through scenic Ogwen Valley, Cwm Idwal Walk (2-3 hours, moderately strenuous) in Snowdonia National Park, Llyn Ogwen, lunch at The Ugly Cottage, photo stop at Betws-y-Coed (cute village), visits to Dolwyddelan Castle ruins and Llanberis slate quarry, photo ops for Llyn Padarn and Dolbadarn Castle.  In 2018 this cost L450 for 1-3 persons.  The hike was strenuous, because the rocks were still wet from earlier rain.

In 2021 we visited Portsmouth on our own before a cruise and really enjoyed the Historic Dockyard with the Mary Rose and HMS Victory ships among many other interesting exhibits.

For more information, see my blogs:

•  Viking British Isles Explorer:  jazzbeauxbritishislescruise2018.wordpress.com

•  Portsmouth:

jazzbeauxmediterraneanblog2021.wordpress.com/  [posts 3 and 4]