ccbowen

Need help with land tours vs ports of call options  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Need help with land tours vs ports of call options

• ports of call
    • celebrity
    • seaward
    • anchorage

Hi - we're 1st time cruisers and are visiting arriving in Anchorage for 4nts July 19 before departing on Celebriry Summit in Seaward on the 22nd. We are traveling with our two boys - 10 & 6, along with my very active 73 yr old mom. We are so excited to be coming up and because we've decided to tour on our own are completely bewildered by all the options. We'd orginally thought we'd be heading to Denali, but have decided that based on our limited time it's just too far away and the tours are too long for our boys. Do we rent a car or try to use the domed railcars and taxis?

So... what to do now? Our plan at the moment is to spend the first day in Anchorage - what to do here and where to stay? That night, drive to Talkeetna.

What should we stop at along the way? Where should we stay and what should we do once we get there? There seem to be so many options: flight seeing, wilderness express dome car ride up, jet boat safari, etc.

Next day - drive to Aleska, take the tramway. Anything we should do along the way? Should we stay here overnight?

Next day - on to Seaward. So much to do here. What are the "NOT TO MISS" adventure?

One of my big questions is where to do all the things we want. The same outings seem to be available in a multitude of different places, including the various ports we stop in The things we really want to do are: walk on a glacier, see the bears hunting for salmon, raft or kayak, do one helicpoter ride, see some wildlife, gold pan, see some whales/sealife.

I've scanned these boards for hours and am still in need of help. Thanks to all wise words i've seen thus far, especially GlacierLady and BudgetQueen.

Hi - we're 1st time cruisers and are visiting arriving in Anchorage for 4nts July 19 before departing on Celebriry Summit in Seaward on the 22nd. We are traveling with our two boys - 10 & 6, along with my very active 73 yr old mom. We are so excited to be coming up and because we've decided to tour on our own are completely bewildered by all the options. We'd orginally thought we'd be heading to Denali, but have decided that based on our limited time it's just too far away and the tours are too long for our boys. Do we rent a car or try to use the domed railcars and taxis?

So... what to do now? Our plan at the moment is to spend the first day in Anchorage - what to do here and where to stay? That night, drive to Talkeetna.

What should we stop at along the way? Where should we stay and what should we do once we get there? There seem to be so many options: flight seeing, wilderness express dome car ride up, jet boat safari, etc.

Next day - drive to Aleska, take the tramway. Anything we should do along the way? Should we stay here overnight?

Next day - on to Seaward. So much to do here. What are the "NOT TO MISS" adventure?

One of my big questions is where to do all the things we want. The same outings seem to be available in a multitude of different places, including the various ports we stop in The things we really want to do are: walk on a glacier, see the bears hunting for salmon, raft or kayak, do one helicpoter ride, see some wildlife, gold pan, see some whales/sealife.

I've scanned these boards for hours and am still in need of help. Thanks to all wise words i've seen thus far, especially GlacierLady and BudgetQueen.

In your short timeframe, I suggest a rental car, one way Anchorage to Seward via Hertz is one option. Or consider the railroad Anchorage-Seward.

But I would perhaps consider skipping Talkeetna unless you are planing on flightseeing?? Instead spend a day in Anchorage, depending on your arrival time, probably won't have much time your first day?? Then take the train or drive to Seward and spend two days there. There are more than enough activites to occupy your time. Request their visitor guide http://www.seward.com

If you continue to head to Talkeetna- then strongly consider the one way car, will make the best use of your time. No I would not spend the night at Alyeska, get to Seward. :)

As for your must do list. for bears- a fly in out of Ketchikan to Anan is my top pick, very costly for a group, but a top tour. consider direct booking http://www.islandwings.com for wildlife, and sealife, definately a Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward, at least 6 hours on the water, a must do in my opinion. A glacier helicopter landing out of Juneau or Skagway, http://www.temscoair.com http://www.coastalhelicopters.com Also possible out of Seward with Godwin's.

Can kayak out of Seward. Rafting possible out of Cooper Landing (slight detour off the Seward Highway, about 40 miles from Seward) - have no experience iwth this though??

I would spend the day you arrive in Anchorage exploring there. Earthquake Experince Theater, Native Center, 5th ave mall etc. Stay at Shipcreek Comfort Inn as it's a block from train station and close to downtown.

Next morning take the 6:45am train to Seward, arrive 11:00am. You can drop off luggage and get settled in your room, grab some lunch, do Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, dog sledding or kayaking after that, easily fitting in two of these with planning.

Sealife Center can be done anytime with no reservations, open 8am-7pm.

Exit Glacier doesn't "close" so you could do that anytime including after your wildlife cruise with a dinner at Exit Glacier Salmon Bake. They do have free ranger lead nature walks during the day at the glacier, this years times haven't been decided yet.

Day 2 wildlife cruise.

Day 3 whatever you haven't gotten in yet and are you boarding ship that evening???

Helicopter/dog sledding is awesome and I highly recommend. As a suggestion since it does get cancelled due to weather, maybe try fitting that in here 1st on the 1st day so if it does get cancelled you have a couple days to still try for nice weather. Often they are available same day.

We have many places to stay in Seward ranging from rustic, out of town cabins to very spendy hotels. What kind of lodging do you prefer, B&B or hotel and 1 room, 2 rooms, how many beds, price range? The dates your here will be a huge factor in price and availabilty.

What's difference and which is better? It sounds like youboth think we should forget Talkeetna altogether? We arrive in Anchorage late - 9:30 pm Tues nt and board the ship in Seaward for a 9pm departure on Sat. Thanks so much for your wise words.

What's difference and which is better? It sounds like youboth think we should forget Talkeetna altogether? We arrive in Anchorage late - 9:30 pm Tues nt and board the ship in Seaward for a 9pm departure on Sat. Thanks so much for your wise words.

For clairfication it is Seward. With your 4 full days, then you could do one night in Talkeetna if of interest. It is 5 hours Talkeetna to Seward, and I would plan on touring Seward Saturaday and NOT be in a rush to get on the ship. Rarely do I board before 6pm.

Archived