Reaching the Antarctic Circle in December?

ukpylot

Hi,

I’m looking at doing an Atlas 11 day trip that includes crossing the Antarctic Circle and looking at a mid December or mid February date (all the January sailings are sold out). 

I know every trip is dependent on conditions but I’m curious if reaching the Circle in December is still likely, or if that’s really important to me I should go February when there is much less ice.

For the December circle crossings they will often head out to open water to be able to make it farther south. If you’re interested in actually seeing anything south of the Circle, I’d do a later season trip. But if you just want to reach the arbitrary latitude, doing the early trip where they may prioritize that over landings and wildlife is probably the better option.

Just now, kaisatsu said:

For the December circle crossings they will often head out to open water to be able to make it farther south. If you’re interested in actually seeing anything south of the Circle, I’d do a later season trip. But if you just want to reach the arbitrary latitude, doing the early trip where they may prioritize that over landings and wildlife is probably the better option.

The latitude(s) of the Arctic and Antarctic Circles are not arbitrary; they are the co-latitudes of the sun's maximum declination(s).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The latitude(s) of the Arctic and Antarctic Circles are not arbitrary; they are the co-latitudes of the sun's maximum declination(s).

I live in Norway, so I am well aware of this. However, unless the trip is timed to cross the Antarctic Circle exactly on the solstice, you’re not going to see the midnight sun. (The December trips tend to sail to the Circle and turn back, rather than going far enough south to reach 24-hour daytime.)

Based on the consideration of going later in the season, it doesn’t sound like the OP is interested in seeing the midnight sun. In which case, crossing the Circle is about reaching a particular latitude; not about experiencing the solar implications of that latitude.

Edited by kaisatsu
  • Like 1

Just now, kaisatsu said:

I live in Norway, so I am well aware of this. However, unless the trip is timed to cross the Antarctic Circle exactly on the solstice, you’re not going to see the midnight sun.

Based on the consideration of going later in the season, it doesn’t sound like the OP is interested in seeing the midnight sun. In which case, crossing the Circle is about reaching a particular latitude; not about experiencing the solar implications of that latitude.

OK.... I was simply commenting on your use of the word 'arbitrary' and crossing the latitude of the antarctic circle.