Annual Insurance - Existing bookings covered?

I’m looking at buying an annual plan. I seen a lot of good word for Allianz here and in other places and I travel enough that I think it would be worth it.

However, I have two trips booked already - one next month and one next year.

If I bought an annual plan today, would those trips be covered? I can’t find anything suggesting they won’t but it seems like the sort of “pre-existing” thing an insurance company might exclude.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ryarger said:

I’m looking at buying an annual plan. I seen a lot of good word for Allianz here and in other places and I travel enough that I think it would be worth it.

If I bought an annual plan today, would those trips be covered? I can’t find anything suggesting they won’t but it seems like the sort of “pre-existing” thing an insurance company might exclude.

You have to ask that of the insurance company directly.

In Canada, for annual programs it does depend if you are buying for the first time when penalties kick in if you are talking about cancelation insurance.  For instance, if you buy today and your first trip is next month and then you cancel for a covered reason, they are going to investigate to see if this reason was reasonably known or expected before you bought the package.

Example would be a loved one that is in Hospice or close to death and the does pass in the next month, then they likely would not cover this.  Once they investigated they would learn that you could have reasonably expected this and then assume that you bought the insurance just to get out of the trip.  Sorry for a blunt example.

For medical most plans will cover you immediately unless you have pre-existing conditions and they have a stable period prior to departure.  They probably will cover you for anything but the pre-existing condition...

Call the insurance company and ask questions and share any concerns for them to answer.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ryarger said:

Certain coverages for trips already booked would be excluded from the Allianz plans.  For example the pre-existing medical condition waiver (unless you booked the trips not more than 14 days before you purchase the plan).  Take a look at the certificate of the plan you are interested in and search for "coverage period" to find out more.

As I have said many times on this forum, the comprehensive annual plans don't work for us and I suspect they are not a great option for many people.  The plans all have holes.  Make sure you understand each plan's limitations and see if the limitations apply to your situation.  Annual plans are usually much cheaper than buying separate plans for each trip, but the coverage is different. 

In my opinion you need to meet the following two criteria before even considering an annual comprehensive travel insurance plan:

• You have decent medical medical insurance that covers you outside of the USA - even if it has a hefty out of network deductible. (Medicare with a supplement would not satisfy this requirement.)
  • You take several relatively inexpensive trips per year.  

If you get past these two, then carefully look at the policies you are considering.  Pay particular attention to covered reasons, pre-existing conditions and medical evacuation coverages.

If your primary concern is medical and evacuation (not cancellation/interruption), then GeoBlue Trekker is an excellent choice for people under age 70, and worth considering if you are older.

• Thanks 1