Self disembarkation

JuCru

Has anyone done self disembarkation on Saga?  How does it work? On cruises with other companies people just keep their luggage and carry it off the ship as soon as clearance is given.  We are not taking up the option of a transfer home so we don’t need to wait for a car.  I just can’t find any information about this.

Previously it made no difference whether you had their transport or your own, you still had to wait for your allocated slot, but think it has changed slightly on the new ships.

Not used our own car since Covid, but if I recollect correctly luggage was still collected as usual the night before, but you could disembark when ship was cleared, collect your luggage from the arrivals hall and trundle off to your car.

We did this twice on the Discovery, the first time we we were told we could disembark as soon as the announcement that the ship was cleared was made; unfortunately, they did not actually make the announcement - we had to go and ask.

The second time we had an allocated disembarkation time which was the time they expected the ship to be cleared.

Both times we were off very quickly (and the luggage was waiting ready for us).

Once at Southampton, once at Dover.

I think the only people who carry their own luggage off are the guest speakers/entertainers/staff - but you can always ask at Reception once on board if you want to do this (Saga cruise Reception are very helpful).

Thanks nosapphire for all that information.  Our daughter also said to ask when we are on board!.  I just felt I’d like to know in advance.  When I booked I felt I was being pressured into taking to  transport to anywhere I wanted rather than home but I just said nothing planned so far (might visit friends) so she agreed to book the car at the start of the holiday and then we could decide later.  

Fingers crossed.  
I didn’t realise they took all the luggage ashore first but we could manage our own cases.

At Portsmouth there is a shuttle bus between the ship and the Terminal where the luggage hall is, so unless you really want to hoik your main luggage on and off the bus, be easier to let Saga offload it and just carry the hand luggage.

Pretty quick and easy finding the luggage in the terminal - you will be given a tag number, the luggage is rowed up according to tag number so you just take a trolley, find your case(s) lined up by the relevant tag number and head to your car.

But if you want to take it yourself, pretty sure you can.

Nosapphire it was so useful to know about the bus transfer.  I agree suitcases on the bus would be very inconvenient for us and for others.  That will help with making our final plans.  Many thanks