Accessible staterooms on Mariner of the Seas?

The room photos on the RCL website show a king bed with such a narrow walking aisle on each side a healthy person would have trouble using them. That can't possibly be considered accessible. If you have seen their accessible interior, oceanview, or balcony rooms, do you remember how navigable the bedside aisles were? Please add which type of room you are commenting on, and of course the room # would be wonderful if you happen to remember it!

Go to cruisedeckplans.com. Choose your cruise line and then your ship. On the left column scroll down the cabin categories.  If there are accessible cabins in that category it will say Accessible  cabins.  Click on that and you will get a drop down list of cabins.  If there is a tiny camera icon next to the cabin number there will by pictures of that cabin, usually contributed by members.  Some are good at cabin pic, some are not.  EM

Thanks, Essiesmom, I'll try it!

Shadow, does splitting the bed make the central aisle large enough to walk down comfortably? I wondered about that when I watched a Youtube video tour of an accessible room.

I've stayed in cabin 7300 on Mariner, Explorer, and Navigator. Yes, I like to know what to expect! It's an accessible balcony cabin. Since I travel by myself, I have the beds together. The area between the bed and balcony is fairly tight, but the area on the other side of the bed (near the closet) is great. I was looking for pictures I've taken, but none really show the areas around the bed, I'm sorry. By the way, I use a Fold and Go powerchair and charge it using the outlet between the bed and balcony, so obviously the chair fits there.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:51 AM, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I've stayed in cabin 7300 on Mariner, Explorer, and Navigator. Yes, I like to know what to expect! It's an accessible balcony cabin. Since I travel by myself, I have the beds together. The area between the bed and balcony is fairly tight, but the area on the other side of the bed (near the closet) is great. I was looking for pictures I've taken, but none really show the areas around the bed, I'm sorry. By the way, I use a Fold and Go powerchair and charge it using the outlet between the bed and balcony, so obviously the chair fits there.

Hello, hope you maybe able to help. We are Arlette and Murray from U.K. We are sailing on the Navigator in November 22nd from Barcelona to Miami, 6th December.  14 days, we are in an accessible suite #929. Although they offered us a change into an ordinary suite a few doors up. Murray uses a mobility scooter, there  will be two comfy chairs in the suite but no sofa (which I would have preferred) and your mention of outlet for charging the scooter or wheelchair is good to know. How did you find getting around the Navigator. I have been reading some good and bad reviews. Our first cruise with RSSC but we did two on Oceania and many Celebrity. Last year we were on Cunard Queen Victoria, massive accessible suite but right at the very front of the ship, so it took a long time to get to anywhere. Thanks again for any advice, you or anyone can give. Regards and happy sailing from Lady of the Nile. (Arlette and Murray).

On 7/28/2024 at 11:39 AM, Lady of the Nile said:

Hello, hope you maybe able to help. We are Arlette and Murray from U.K. We are sailing on the Navigator in November 22nd from Barcelona to Miami, 6th December.  14 days, we are in an accessible suite #929. Although they offered us a change into an ordinary suite a few doors up. Murray uses a mobility scooter, there  will be two comfy chairs in the suite but no sofa (which I would have preferred) and your mention of outlet for charging the scooter or wheelchair is good to know. How did you find getting around the Navigator. I have been reading some good and bad reviews. Our first cruise with RSSC but we did two on Oceania and many Celebrity. Last year we were on Cunard Queen Victoria, massive accessible suite but right at the very front of the ship, so it took a long time to get to anywhere. Thanks again for any advice, you or anyone can give. Regards and happy sailing from Lady of the Nile. (Arlette and Murray).

Hi Arlette and Murray! For the most part, it's easy to navigate (!) the Navigator. I like this size ship, it's big enough, but not too big for me. I will let you know the parts I struggled with the most.

• Deck three is segmented. The handicapped section of the main theater is on deck three and only accessible from the forward elevators. There are fewer elevators in those banks, so it can be a challenge. Conversely, the ice rink is on deck three and only accessible via the aft elevators. Timing can be a challenge if there's something you want to see in one of those venues.
  • Deck 12 on the Navigator has a bunch of paid cabana-like structures that pinch off routes of travel. Explorer and Mariner didn't have those.
  • If I recall correctly, Navigator has the automatic doors on accessible cabins. I don't move fast enough, so it would try to close on me. There is a switch you can hit over the door frame once the door is open to keep the door open so Murray can scoot in. Then, once he's in the cabin, you can flip the switch and the door closes. If you have trouble finding it, your cabin attendant will show you. Alternatively, you can ask for a door stop.
  • The decks I find easiest to use to go the length of the ship are 11, five, and four.Four has both inside and outside routes, which is nice.
  • This has been mentioned elsewhere by me and many others. If you are trying to get to another deck, take the first elevator that comes. It will eventually get you where you need to go. Also, at busy times, go down to go up and go up to go down. Like on the final day, take the elevator up to deck 12 or 13 and then down to four, which is where you exit the ship. That way, you can actually get an elevator AND have room for your suitcase.
  • If you have traditional dining, ask the staff to give you a table close to the door. If Murray can walk a short distance, he can leave the scooter in the area inside the door. The staff will gladly assist.
  • In the Windjammer, I have found the group of tables towards the front, near the bar, are easiest to maneuver with a mobility device. Again, there are areas close by where a scooter can be stashed while eating. If you need assistance carrying plates, the staff is usually very willing to help.
  • Cafe Promenade (no extra charge) and Playmakers (extra charge) are both on five, right across from each other. I like them, but they are tight spaces, especially for a mobility device.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm jealous, I'd love to take a transatlantic cruise some day. I'm sure you'll have a great time on Navigator!

3 hours ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

Hi Arlette and Murray! For the most part, it's easy to navigate (!) the Navigator. I like this size ship, it's big enough, but not too big for me. I will let you know the parts I struggled with the most.

• Deck three is segmented. The handicapped section of the main theater is on deck three and only accessible from the forward elevators. There are fewer elevators in those banks, so it can be a challenge. Conversely, the ice rink is on deck three and only accessible via the aft elevators. Timing can be a challenge if there's something you want to see in one of those venues.
  • Deck 12 on the Navigator has a bunch of paid cabana-like structures that pinch off routes of travel. Explorer and Mariner didn't have those.
  • If I recall correctly, Navigator has the automatic doors on accessible cabins. I don't move fast enough, so it would try to close on me. There is a switch you can hit over the door frame once the door is open to keep the door open so Murray can scoot in. Then, once he's in the cabin, you can flip the switch and the door closes. If you have trouble finding it, your cabin attendant will show you. Alternatively, you can ask for a door stop.
  • The decks I find easiest to use to go the length of the ship are 11, five, and four.Four has both inside and outside routes, which is nice.
  • This has been mentioned elsewhere by me and many others. If you are trying to get to another deck, take the first elevator that comes. It will eventually get you where you need to go. Also, at busy times, go down to go up and go up to go down. Like on the final day, take the elevator up to deck 12 or 13 and then down to four, which is where you exit the ship. That way, you can actually get an elevator AND have room for your suitcase.
  • If you have traditional dining, ask the staff to give you a table close to the door. If Murray can walk a short distance, he can leave the scooter in the area inside the door. The staff will gladly assist.
  • In the Windjammer, I have found the group of tables towards the front, near the bar, are easiest to maneuver with a mobility device. Again, there are areas close by where a scooter can be stashed while eating. If you need assistance carrying plates, the staff is usually very willing to help.
  • Cafe Promenade (no extra charge) and Playmakers (extra charge) are both on five, right across from each other. I like them, but they are tight spaces, especially for a mobility device.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm jealous, I'd love to take a transatlantic cruise some day. I'm sure you'll have a great time on Navigator!

Hi there, Virginals for Cruises, thats a very long name. Hope you are well. Thanks so much for this advice, I am sure it will come to good use. As for the Cafe Promenade and Playmakers, are they on The Navigator, I've not heard mention of them. November still seems a long way off, but now that you have sent us this, we will look forward to it. We were apprehensive, but our cruise agent sent us photos of our suite, we won't be having a sofa, but two comfy arm chairs, and all we need. We were offered a standard suite, as I hate shower curtains in the bathroom, but its o.k. we will keep the accessible suite, and have the big bathroom with the shower curtains. Thanks again, keep in touch. From Arlette and Murray. (Lady of the Nile)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 2:14 AM, Lady of the Nile said:

As for the Cafe Promenade and Playmakers, are they on The Navigator, I've not heard mention of them

Yes, they're on deck five.

We were offered a standard suite, as I hate shower curtains in the bathroom, but its o.k. we will keep the accessible suite, and have the big bathroom with the shower curtains.

The entire bathroom in the accessible cabins is a wet room -- there are drains in the floor. I never pull the curtain closed.

November still seems a long way off, but now that you have sent us this, we will look forward to it. We were apprehensive, but our cruise agent sent us photos of our suite, we won't be having a sofa, but two comfy arm chairs, and all we need.

I understand being apprehensive. I tell myself before I leave on every trip that things will go wrong, but I won't let relatively small stuff ruin my vacation.