Bologna Central to Ravenna

sushraya

We are landing in Bologna airport at 6.45pm.  We'd like to catch the train to Ravenna that evening (hotel booked in Ravenna, pre-cruise).

I see on the trenitalia site that there are two trains every hour and after 8pm, there's one train every hour.  I know we have to transfer from the airport to Bologna Central.

- How likely is it that we can make the train to Ravenna at 8.05pm?

- Do we need to book tickets for these trains ahead of time?  Are the prices lower if we do?

- How about luggage/seating on these trains?

Thanks!

I don't know how helpful this will be since I have never flown into Bologna.  However, we did fly into Rome, then took the train to Ravenna which involved a transfer in Bologna.  The latter was a local train, and we bought our tickets at the Rome station. I don't recall it being that expensive.  Also, it was not very crowded, so finding a seat was no problem.  I would imagine that would be the case for you too since you are arriving in the evening. My husband and I only take carry-on luggage and there were overhead compartments for them.  My only advice if you purchase tickets in advance, make sure you don't buy ones that lock you into a certain time of departure. You are, after all, flying in and there's no telling in advance how long it will take to clear customs.

Posted (edited)

The train from Bologna Central Train Station to Ravenna is a regional train that can not sell out. The price of the tickets are the same whether you buy them online beforehand or buy them at the station. You can not reserve seats on the train.

We went the opposite way from Ravenna to Bologna Central on July 6 and the price was €8.00 each and the train took about an hour and 15 minutes. The train we were on was a double decker with no luggage storage other than overhead racks. We had small suitcases so we went up the stairs to the top level and sat in a space with two seats facing each other and put our suitcases on the floor in front of us. If the train had become fuller we would have moved our suitcases to the entrance area of the train so other people could sit down but we did not have to move them.

I personally would wait until getting to Bologna to buy the train tickets so not have to worry about being locked into a particular train time. Bologna is a big train station with many platforms and during the day it is very busy. I don't know what it is like in the evening. You will almost certainly have to change platforms from the airport train to the Ravenna train so allow time to do so if you pre purchase your tickets.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1