Can you safely walk between West Bay and West End Village?

mtnrnrchic

I am debating between just getting a taxi straight to West Bay and playing around in West Bay and the West End Village. First of all, can you walk safely between these areas? My other option would be to go with Cinthia and Diana and get the tour - what advantages are there to this if we really just want beach, food and shopping?

Thanks!!

We just returned from a week in Roatan and stayed at Luna Beach Resort, which is between West End and West Bay. The walk from the resort to the middle of West End was 15 minutes, all along the beach and/or sandy road. The walk from the resort to West Bay was about 20 minutes. Some was on the beach, and some was over kind of a rocky area. No problem if you are sure-footed, but you do want shoes on. The walking is good early morning or late afternoon (after 5:00 or so), but keep in mind that it gets REALLY hot during the day when you are walking on the beach with the sun shining. You can also catch a water taxi between the two for about $2 p/p each way. There are a ton of "taxi's" (little boats that do nothing but take people from West End to West Bay), some go fast, some not so fast.

• 3 weeks later...

We also stayed at Luna the first two weeks in April. I agree, water taxi is the way to go. You can flag one down at the end of most docks and its a pretty quick and cheap and fun ride over to West Bay. The walk is kind of long and it can be very hot as well as in some areas there is no shade. You do have to climb over rocks a bit between Luna and Kefitos and a slip and fall could always ruin your trip if you don't have the right shoes on.

Or hire Diane and Cinthia like you noted (we used them 8 times when we were there.. they were great) and they can take you where you want, when you want and also recommend other beach and cheaper shopping stops along the way (West End tends to have the higher prices, they steered us to much better bargains when we were there which partially makes up for the cost of hiring them!).

Plus that way you don't have to worry about finding a cab back to the ship or getting gouged on pricing (which some of the cabs tend to do as some of my friends found out the hard way).

Andrea in Atlanta

• 4 months later...

Archived