Carnival in the News

Whilst I agree it would be disappointing (and it was possibly badly handled), I think I would have stayed on board and accepted the OBC and FCC. But that's just me. As long as I'm on a cruise I'm happy. And $US800 for 8 days is hardly and expensive cruise to begin with. But we all know journalists!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13821947/carnival-cruise-voyage-caribbean-passengers-itinerary.html

• Like 3

It’s my understanding that the Carnival Vista has had propulsion issues for a little while. Maybe a couple of cruises. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not sure that gathering all the passengers in the theatre to make an announcement like this is a good idea. I could well imagine a couple of people getting irate and then that feeling spreading through the crowd. 

But at the end of the day the cruiseline holds all the aces. They can change the itinerary for whatever reason and don’t have to give the passengers any compensation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

It’s my understanding that the Carnival Vista has had propulsion issues for a little while. Maybe a couple of cruises. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not sure that gathering all the passengers in the theatre to make an announcement like this is a good idea. I could well imagine a couple of people getting irate and then that feeling spreading through the crowd. 

But at the end of the day the cruiseline holds all the aces. They can change the itinerary for whatever reason and don’t have to give the passengers any compensation. 

Just to play devil's advocate....... Perhaps Carnival was hoping that the propulsion issue would be fixed prior to sail away in this case. But as I said previously, the situation was probably not handled well and perhaps an announcement in the terminal building would have been preferable. Be that as it may, wherever they announced the itinerary change there would be pax up in arms about it. I feel sorry for the staff who had to cop the abuse. They were just the messengers and not responsible for the situation. At the end of the day, a cruise was going ahead just not the one they booked and they were given a choice of disembarking or staying on board with extra OBC and a FCC. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Carnival but merely pointing out that passengers were not left empty handed so to speak. And they were still cruising the tropics. Unlike some Australian cruisers who thought they were going to the South Pacific and due to a pesky cyclone went to Tasmania instead. That, I think, was a little more awkward as they probably didn't pack suitable clothing for Tassie weather.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Unlike some Australian cruisers who thought they were going to the South Pacific and due to a pesky cyclone went to Tasmania instead. That, I think, was a little more awkward as they probably didn't pack suitable clothing for Tassie weather.

Sure for a cyclone, but P&O used the same tactic announcing NZ had refused entry for the ship, so they went to Tassie instead. P&O knew before boarding, yet waited till after departure to announce it as if it was a NZ issue instead of coming "clean" and saying the ships hull had failed a bio inspection. At first they only offered OBC, and a full refund came later after much agitation.

For me, if it is out of the ship's control (weather, medevac, marine rescue etc), bad luck and maybe a bit of OBC as goodwill. If it is a ship problem that arises after departure, a partial refund should apply, dependant on how badly the cruise is affected. However, if it is a cruise line or ship problem prior to departure, they should come clean and spell out what will happen prior to boarding anyone. Offer a sweetened deal or the option of not boarding and receiving a full refund.

It is OK to think they have a captive cruise audience that has no choice, but that audience can also become a mob if they can see through the excuses.

• Like 1