Live from the Pride of America - 09/21-09/28/2024 - Hawai'i (Oahu to Maui to Hawai'i to Kaua'i)

It took 2 hours to get to the Na Pali coast. During those two hours, we quickly learned who was sea sick. We thought the crew members did an excellent job of checking in with those who were sea sick and offered different suggestions to help them which they ignored. 

We have been on several boat tours and this was probably an 8 or 9 out of 10 for motion. For us, the swells were more intense than we expected and the speed of the boat was at top speeds. We are fortunate that we both don’t seem to get sea sick but we also watch the horizon as we were taught. 

It was a bit tricky taking some of the photos as we were trying to keep one hand on a railing with the motion. My husband took some of these photos as he was much braver than I was. 

IMG_4778.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

As dinner was being served, a woman who became sea sick was getting sick over the side of the boat near us as we were trying to eat. We shared our table with another couple. That made the woman sitting with us decide that she had no appetite and did not care to eat so they packed her food to go. Her husband ate everything in about 5 minutes or less. 

We grazed on our food for about 30 minutes or more and admit we were impacted by that event as we had a lot of food waste and were doing our best to eat but the idea of getting sick was so impactful on our appetite. 

• Like 1

We arrived back to the dock and tried to speed walk ahead of the rest of the passengers to get to the Captain Andy restrooms. The woman who was sick near us decided to take over the restroom for the remaining 1.5 hours of the boat tour but there was another restroom with a constant line. The significant movement of the boat made us unwilling to attempt the walk and stairs to get to the other restroom. 

We were fully coated with salt on our face, arms and shorts from the ocean as waves made their way over the boat. We drove to the airport to drop off the rental car and were surprised to find out that National was willing to give us a complimentary ride back to the port. 

A shower was mandatory to feel human again to wash away the salt. Despite the motion and inconvenience, it was worth it to see Na Pali coast. 

Again, the crew on Captain Andy tours were wonderful. They constantly asked to refresh our water drinks or get us alcoholic drinks. As we were still concerned about avoiding getting sick and one of us had to drive back, we didn’t try any of their tasty looking cocktails or wine. 

Once we were ready to find drinks and entertainment on the ship, we realized it was about 8pm and we had been sober for a record breaking 21 hours or so which is longest we have gone on an NCL ship without a drink. 🤣

I have been on Holland America with kids with a longer record. 🤣

As warned by other POA past guests, the entertainment areas do get crowded. We hung out in Pink’s Champagne lounge which also makes martinis. 

It took a few minutes for us to find a vacant table and chairs. We enjoyed piano music by Michael and even danced. 

This morning, we had a leisurely breakfast at Skyline and once again requested a table within Lou’s section which means no window table. 

He and his assistant provided excellent service as usual. My husband ordered a loaded potato dish with eggs  that he said was delicious and he would order again. I got fruit (not pictured) and an omelet with sausage. We forget to say we don’t need the potatoes. 

IMG_4856.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpeg

• Like 1

We walked around the local area again this morning including the Sonesta resort. 

Some man getting off the ship decided we would all enjoy this music selection so he carried a portable speaker blasted at the highest levels possible. Ugh. 

If you get off at the Kaua’i cruise port, be warned about the man selling fruit from his truck next to the bridge to the Sonesta resort. He yelled at two women who were talking about their planned next location. He interrupted them and yelled, “White woman, listen to me, turn at the light like I said!”  He yelled at us when we walked back across the bridge but I don’t know what he said. 

IMG_4858.jpeg

We have been sitting by the pool for the last few hours. Here is our view on the last day of the cruise. 

The frozen margaritas are perfect. Next cruise we will be in the Vibe so we won’t have to work as hard to obtain them. 

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

Edited by Seas2mountains

5 hours ago, Molokai-Chuck said:

Seas2mountains...

I wish to thank you for the great postings and photos this past week.

Just made me hungry ... thirsty ... and looking forward to our cruise on the POAm in 2 weeks!

Aloha and be well.

molokai-chuck

Mahalo. I’m glad you are excited for your POA cruise. I know the crew are ready to welcome you and take excellent care of you! Have a wonderful cruise and thank you for following along.  

We had dinner at Teppanyaki tonight. We were seated with people who said they expected to be able to order sushi. We tried to help them and explain what to expect and how they could eat sushi in East meets West. And then a woman decided she didn’t want to sit so she was standing most of the meal which was awkward for us as she was standing next to is.

We asked to get our check early as we didn’t order dessert. The meal was good but maybe too much garlic for me in the fried rice. 

Sunset photos. 

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg