Norwegian Star Deck 9 Cabin 9138

marcyjane

Sailing out of Seattle to Alaska on Norwegian Star (1st time on NCL) Cabin is on Deck 9 mid ship Cabin 9138.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in this cabin or one like it that can tell me about the layout of the cabin, balcony, storage (like closet, drawers, etc.) maybe what's above or below the cabin ( you know noise wise).

Also a photo if anyone had one would be great too!!!.

Just anything about the cabin and as well getting around the ship.

I'm just getting excited now as the days count down until the cruise.

Thanks in advance to you guys and dolls who post all the good information here on cruise critics.

Thank you,

Marcy:)

Marcy, which sailing on you on? We're sailing the Star out of Seattle on 5/14, and we're in cabin # 9156. You have a great cabin, in a great location on the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Here's some info on your cabin, # 9138:

Cabin 9138

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Crib (1)

Midship Section

Starboard Side

Connecting Room (9150)

Cabin Square Footage (166)

Private Balcony (1)

Shower (1)

Convertible Lower Beds (2)

Convertible Single Sofa Bed (1)

Balcony Square Footage (37)

Oceanview Stateroom

Sitting Area

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Pier aft

Sprinklers

Sailing out of Seattle to Alaska on Norwegian Star (1st time on NCL) Cabin is on Deck 9 mid ship Cabin 9138.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in this cabin or one like it that can tell me about the layout of the cabin, balcony, storage (like closet, drawers, etc.) maybe what's above or below the cabin ( you know noise wise).

Also a photo if anyone had one would be great too!!!.

We were on the Star in 2003. We were upgraded to 9210, and loved it.

Our photos are at:

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/star_trip/ship_views.html

No problems with noise, as there are only passengers above

and below. Plenty of storage space. We enjoyed this balcony

cabin with 2 people, might have been tight with 3 or

more.

Hope this helps.

The Star is my favorite ship in the fleet. Been on her twice as you can see. (Did the ALaska run last year....fantastic) I was on Deck 9 in 2002 (9562). It is a great deck, centrally located to most everything.

Plenty of storage space in cabin, balcony is great..especially for viewing the glaciers in Glacier Bay from it, don' have to fight the crowds on Deck.

Since this is your first time on NCL, do you have any questions for us on the Freestyle concept. The optional formal night, resort casual attire, specialty restuarants and reservations, freestyle debarkation? You may have already studied this, but let us know. I love Freestyle.

keystonecruiser,

Thanks, just anything you can tell me that will be helpful.

I'm new to NCL been on RCI & CCI, my first with NCL and the freestyle.

The best I can tell on the freestyle is that I have figured out that I would wear what I normally would on any of the other cruises I have been to the dining rooms and that there are a coupe of the resturants that you have to paid extra for and that the freestyle debarkation is only if you can manage to roll or carry your own luggage off the ship.

Other than that, that's about all I know about the Star and NCL please if you have time let me know the in's and out's of the Star and also the don't do's and the Do's. Also while I'm here did you have any of the Spa treatments.

Oh I'm sorry one more thing do they have a midnight buffet

Thanks,

Marcy

Marcy: Let me give you a quick recap of Freestyle:

Debarkation: Freestyle Debarkation is different. What you alluded to in carrying off your own luggage is "Express Debarkation." If you want off quick, you can carry all your luggage and depart as soon as the ship clears customs. Freestyle Debarkation for everyone else is that you can remain in your cabin until your color is called. No need to crowd into a lounge or public area like cattle and wait. Your luggage will be picked up the night before you disembark and will be waiting for you on the pier. (seperated by color, easier to find.)

Dining: Freestyle Dining means eating WHEN you want, WHERE you want, with WHO you want, and dressed HOW you want.

Basically, the main restaurants operate like a restaurant on land. You walk up, tell the maitre'd how many people are in your party and they seat you. You can have a different waiter every night OR you can request the same waiter if you find one that you really like. You can dine alone, with just or family or asked to be seated with others. No assigned tables or table mates. You can also go any time during operating hours (5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.) No assigned dining times. (you do have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants, more later).

Finally, the dress code is RESORT CASUAL. There will be one OPTIONAL formal night on your cruise, but I stress the word optional. Only about 40% of the people will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt/tie. The rest will be in resort casual. You won't feel out of place either way! You can wear resort casual to any restaurant at any time on formal night.

Basically resort casual means no shorts, sweats, t-shirts, swimwear or jeans. (it seems though from recent reports from most of the NCL fleet, that the no jeans rule has been replaced by "no torn/ripped/faded jeans" meaning nice jeans are now acceptable.) A polo shirt with kahkis or nice skirt or a sun dress is perfectly acceptable. My family has never dressed up on any NCL cruise.

The Star has two main restaurants, Versailles and Aqua which are open for dinner every night and serve the traditional cruise fare. These two are free and do not take reservations. If you arrive before 6:15 or after 8:00, you shouldn't have to wait for a table. Versailles is the only restaurant open for sit down service for breakfast and lunch, but most people go to the buffet.

Market Cafe is the buffet which is open for all meals. I found the breakfast buffets to be good, the lunches ok and, although I have never ate dinner there, I have checked it out and the dinners there leave something to be desired, stick to the restaurants!

The secret on the Star is the Blue Lagoon, a diner like restaurant on Deck 7 near the Galleria shop. Serves hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, cheese sticks, chicken tenders, soup, etc. I highly reccommend the Macaroni and Cheese. The Blue Lagoon is open 24 hours.

The Specialty restaurants all require reservations and all but Endless Summer and LaTrattatoria have a cover charge of $15-25 per person.

You can make reservations for the whole week on the day you board. There is a counter next to the information desk on Deck 7 that allows you to make reservations for all. (one stop reservations!) They fill up quickly after the first day, so plan ahead and get those reservations!

The Specialty restaurants on the Star are as follows: (I have only eaten at LaTrattatoria and Endless Summer because I refuse to pay the cover charges for the others.

LaTrattoria on Deck 12: (actually they close off part of the buffet for this restaurant) - Italian. My personal favorite restaurant on the ship. Great service and great portions.

Endless Summer on Deck 8: Tex-Mex. I really wasn't impressed by this one.

Cagney's Steakhouse on Deck 13: Steaks. People say it is fantastic. It is also one of the most expensive.

LeBistro on Deck 6 - European food.

Ginza & Teperaki(sp?): (Deck 6) Oriental food cooked in front of you.

Soho: (Deck 6): Not sure about this one. It is hidden back in a corner on Deck 6.

As far as your cabin, I have been on both decks 9 and 10 in balcony cabins. They are very nice with plenty of room in closets. I love the bathroom set-up with toilet on one side, sink in the middle and shower on the other side. There is a clothes line that stretches across the shower for drying of swimsuits, etc.. There is a safe and small refridgerator in each cabin as well as a hairdryer. The balcony is a great way to see Alaska. It is such wonderful scenery. It was nice to sit out there and see Glacier Bay. My brother in law had an interior cabin and decided to go up on deck for "better pictures." He came back and complained about how crowded it was and how he didn't get a good picture. He was quite upset that my $69 Wal-Mart Camera had some better shots than his $300 camera!! Finally, when you are in Glacier Bay, they will have a Park Ranger on board providing narration as you go through. Turn you television on to the channel that shows the bridge cam, turn the volume up high and go out on your balcony. You can hear the narration, see the sights, and not fight the crowds. The Captain turns the ship so all sides get to see everything.

I think that about answers everything you asked. Let me know if there are any other questions.

oops, forgot the Midnight buffet.

No they don't have a true midnight buffet like other ships, but they do have a wonderful Chocoholics buffet on one of the sea days at like 11:00 p.m.. They first allow you to walk through and only take pictures, then after everyone gets through that, they let you back in to EAT!!!

The Market Cafe does have a late night buffet of hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, applesauce, french fries, etc. It is open until like midnight. (not bad, I tried it.) And of course there is room service and the Blue Lagoon which are both 24 hour operations.

Archived