Shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier

momeason

Our original plan in Juneau was to rent a car, go to the Glacier and then just tool around.

I have read so many good things about Capt Larry that I am considering his Whale watching Cruise in the morning. I think I remember someone saying that we could request to be dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier after our whale watch. Is there a shuttle or bus to take us back to the cruise port or should we get a taxi? Since our ship leaves at 4, if we do the whale watching, I figure we probably don't need the rental car.

The reason I originally was not going on the Whale watch is we are already planning a Kenai Fjords long tour 2 days before our cruise, Misty Fjords from Ketchican and I was considering Phillips 26 Glacier on the day our ship leaves Whittier. I love spotting Wildlife and have never seen a whale up close so I think I want to do the Whale watch cruise also.

Any advice??

For a few extra dollars, Orca Enterprises will drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watch. They will give you a voucher for the bus back to town. This needs to be arranged when you make your reservation.

I would go with Casey's suggestion; otherwise, you might check at the main dock area as you get off ship. There are usually tour operator booths selling tickets ($12 RT now, I see - used to be $10 RT or $5 one-way) for shuttle buses to Mendenhall and back all day. The people in the booths can advise you about buying the ticket for return only. It's about a 20 minute ride between the glacier and the dock and sometimes there can be a line to board the bus for returns, so plan accordingly.

I too have am on a ship that leaves at 4. I booked the first whale watch in the morning with Orca (Capt. Larry) and asked Lacey, from Orca, about getting to Mendenhall. She said they could get us there by 12:30/1PM and we would have plenty of time. This will be our second time whale watching with Orca and won't be our last.

I am thinking of taking a taxi back from Mendenhall only because I don't want us to cut it too close, time wise. I heard on these board that the shuttles can be crowded for the trip back.

Just call Orca's toll free number and they can help you.

Archived