Group of kids run free on ship?

babytraveler

We usually travel in a big family group with kids of all ages and rules. So it can get pretty tough to say no you have to stay with us.

Personally we don't feel comfortable leaving our kids alone or supervised by someone other than an adult. It's not that I don't trust my kids, in fact they are really good kids, but I know how carried away they can get if something seems really funny to them (ie..pressing multiple elevator buttons, etc...) , lapses in judgement, that could annoy other passengers around. So typically my son stays with hubby and daughter stays with me.

With that said, on my last cruise, my 11 yr. old daughter started to want to leave the pool, and let's say, go to the room alone before us to have a shower or whatever. We're talking like, maybe a half hour at the most. I got the feeling that I was too strict and that really the ship feels like a safe haven. So reluctantly, I would let her.

Now, there's an interesting thread out there, something like, Would you leave your 12 yr. old alone in the room for an evening to watch a movie quietly?, and some really good points were made. There are many good reasons not to, but the most important one that has made me reconsider having my daughter anywhere without adult supervision, is what if there is a fire or emergency on board? Just think of the Princess Fire recently. These ships are huge and time could be of the essence.

So, I think that this is a good guage.

Is your child (really teenager, as I don't think any "child or young teenager is) old enough that you would without a doubt know they could get their life jacket, handle the chaos and meet you at the muster station in the case of an alarm? Is the caregiver in a position to do so?

Atleast in the kids programs you know there is a procedure in place to reunite kids and parents.

It is a really important topic. One that made me rethink my position, however strict it was to begin with.

Boy my parents must have been insane. I walked to work from school until I could buy a bike and then a car when I was 15 years old. I used to drive between Houston and Baton Rouge when I was 16 all alone to visit my Mom. I joined the Marines when I was 17 and was taught how to kill people. I lived in foreign countries when I was 18-20 and would wander around exploring these new cultures without supervision.

For me it would depend on the maturity/responsibility of the child. That being said, my daughter's probably will not have the freedoms that I had when I was growing up. On our second to last cruise, we would not allow our 10 year old to self-sign out. She could not go wandering around without one of us being present. She will be 12 on our next cruise, so we will have to decide on how much to loosen the rope.

Dave

My daughter is 10 and will be taking her second cruise. Wether on a cruise ship or in general, my rule of thumb is to never let her or any child go anywhere by herself. She is always supervised by another adult or in kids camp. We practice the buddy system with multiple kids when it comes to walking from place to place. The kids have to be taught to stick together, look out for each other and come right back. We also take walkie talkies for the kids to communicate with us on the ship. They love using them.

Our kids are 6,9, and almost 12 and we have never considered letting them have free run of the ship. We didn't even allow our oldest to sign herself in and out of the Fun Zone and she actually preferred it that way. Our oldest is very mature beyond her years and trustworthy but we are not going to allow her or the younger ones to roam the ship amongst a bunch of strangers. You just don't know who or what is lurking out there and our kids are too precious to risk it.

Archived