Matanuska Glacier- Has anyone glacier trekked there?

momeason

I have talked to the owner of Matanuska Glacier Park twice. He swears will will be fine on our own. We wanted to trek around on the glacier. It only costs about $12.50pp to go into the park. The park opens May 1. It is 10 days before the season starts for the guided trips. Has anyone been up there with or without a guide? If we can't get a guide, I guess we will try it on our own. A guide and equipment would be nice. The park does not rent equipment. We will be there May 18.

Yes, I have trekked Matanuska Glacier. And I totally disagree with the information you have gotten, you CAN NOT get essentially anywhere without the proper equiptment, you need crampons- bottom line and a guide. If you will be "happy" with slipping your way out to the " picnic table" and not much futher, then this is for you. But realize that the picnic table area is where all the trekking starts.

A guide will take you up and down the area, cut in "steps", know the areas etc. I would not consider even spending any time here without it.

Archived