1600 Lb. Grizzly Killed In Alaska -- True Or False !!!!

cruisinlady

Just read an article about the world's biggest grizzly bear being killed last week by a US Forest Service Employee on a deer hunt in Alaska. Read that the bear was 14' tall and weighed in at 1,600 lbs (huh). The bear was shot in self-defense as it charged the US Forest Service hunter from 50 yards away. He supposedly shot it with a 7mm magnum automatic rifle and emptied the rifle into the bear and it was still alive, he reloaded and shot it several more times and killed it. It's going to be mounted and put in the Anchorage Airport to warn hikers and the general public of the risks of going into the wild in Alaska.

Is this a true story? I saw pictures, the paw was enormous, as was the trophy bear. It looked unreal and probably is.

BTW-I don't think a 1600 lb grizz would be completely out of the question. I think it would be a new record, but I wouldn't rule out the possiblility that it could happen.

Most sites I've looked at give their size as up to 1500 so I don't see why a fat one, that just ate couldn't do 1600

jmo

-Monte

I am from Alaska and this picture has been showing up for years, i moved to the lower 48 8 years ago and i still see it.

Yes, i have seen and been near many bears, but they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

If you are going to be walking on trails, we always tied bells on us or had a radio on, it scares them away before you even see them.

I was in a glacier and came face to face with a Gacier bear, we just staired at each other and the bear walked away.

The trouble starts when the tourist try to get that up close shot, or try to feed the bears and they want more.

If you want to read a great bear story look uo the book Alaskan Bear stories. Bruce at True alaskan charters in Ketchikan grandfather is a legend for killing a man killing bear called Old Groaner. It stalked him and his brother for a few seasons while they were prospecting. It stood over 10 feet tall and it groaned in the middle of the night scaring everyone he was stalking. Scarey story.

Archived