St. Thomas what can you suggest

My wife and i are excited about our cruise in about 2 months. We've been to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize, Ocho Rios, etc., but have no idea of what to expect on an Eastern Cruise on the Mariner. Could you please share what's the best things to do or see while there. Your reccomendations would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

We did the Buck Island snorkeling tour. It was fantastic! There was only one other couple on the boat besides ourselves and we a very lengthy snorkel. No hurries...great guiding...very relaxing...lots of fish, turtles, etc.

Just a POV from our perspective. Hope you have plenty of fun there! We did!

Usually we just relax and shop.

We did to the Bob (breathing observation bubble) once and then in the same day did the Kon Tiki party boat.

The Bob was fun and worth the money to try it once. I did have some complaints but they were minor. Like having to keep your thumb pressed the enitre time. It was also very cold to me. No one else was cold though . Just me. Typical :)

The Kon Tiki was a waste of time. I don't care much for rum punch that tastes like cough syrup....LOL Everyone was having a good time though.

If we ever get back there I think we will do an island tour so we can see more of St. Thomas.

Bobbie

We have been to St. Thomas several times and the last time we decided to take the ferry to St. John. This is the best decision ever made. St. Thomas is very, very crowded these days. St. John has THE most beautiful beaches. The island is small and quaint and we will definitely forego the St. Thomas island rush for another trip to St. John the next time we set sail.

Guest cruzr44

We also used Godfrey and had a great island tour, shopping and beach. It is the best tour for the money. www.godfreytoursvi.com Our first cruise we went to St John on a ship tour then came back and only had a little time to shop on St Thomas but really didn't get to enjoy the island. Next cruise we did the Godfrey tour. We have been to Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach and Megans Bay and my favorite was Megans for swimming and Coki for snorkeling. It was windy at Sapphire so the surf was rough. On St John we have been to Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay and they are both beautiful. If you decide on St John take a taxi from the dock to Red Hook and then the ferry to Cruz Bay, St John.

mx55mom@yahoo.com

We did a six-pack sailing tour and had the best time ever! Several operators offer tours. Check the St. Thomas board for recommendations. We used Rumbaba and had terrific food and the most relaxing day that you can imagine.

My wife and I sailed aboard the Mariner last year, on the Eastern.

We don't care for tours too much.

We decided after much thought to go the St. John. What almost scared us off was the thought of travelling to the ferry, then taking a ferry then taking a taxi to a beach.

We are so happy we did this though. Although we like to do things on our own, we did go with the RCCL excursion.

This was the highlight of our trip!

We will do this again.

St. John is so absolutely beautiful. Please consider doing this.

John

jdotley@msn.com

GldnRm01

We too are going on the Mariner in a couple of months, May 28th to be exact. Are you on the same cruise? If so, come over to the Roll Call board and talk with us about the cruise. I wish I knew how to place a link here but I am not that computer wise.

Tim

If you decide on St John take a taxi from the dock to Red Hook and then the ferry to Cruz Bay, St John.[/email]

We did this in December, and then we found out we could have taken the ferry right from Charlotte-Amalie. We took the ferry back to C-M after enjoy a great afternoon on St. John, and it dropped us off right in the middle of the shopping area in town. Wonderful! Consider saving the taxi fair to Red Hook - not a great ride. The sights between C-M and Red Hook are not wonderful, the fair was higher than we'd expected (don't remember now what it was), and the driver drove fast enough to really put the scare into all of us. Still, if you enjoy thrill rides at amusement parks, this could the way to go!

Guest cruzr44
We did this in December, and then we found out we could have taken the ferry right from Charlotte-Amalie. We took the ferry back to C-M after enjoy a great afternoon on St. John, and it dropped us off right in the middle of the shopping area in town. Wonderful! Consider saving the taxi fair to Red Hook - not a great ride. The sights between C-M and Red Hook are not wonderful, the fair was higher than we'd expected (don't remember now what it was), and the driver drove fast enough to really put the scare into all of us. Still, if you enjoy thrill rides at amusement parks, this could the way to go!

That's great to know! Taxi fares are quite high and I too hate riding in them. There are some really beautiful spots on ST, but the ride to Red Hook definitely is not. Plus with the construction going on at RH building the new dock and terminal, traffic can be extra slow.

We found a guy named Riel who had one of those covers buses and he took us around the island with some other people for 2 hours for $25 a piece. We got some awesome pics and he explained stuff. It was nice. AND we gor dropped off pretty close to the ship, no paying for a taxi ride back!

He was right near all the tent vendors you see when you are sropped off, he has a sign on the side of his truck above the back tires.

I would do the red hook ferry to St. John and spend the day at Trunk Bay, so other option even comes close. I have been on many cruises, and have seen many beaches, and there is none as beautiful as Trunk Bay.

Archived