technical help needed from you computer guru's

Ok,what I dont get is,how to change the wording,to where it still links me to the thread,when I change the words??? :confused:

I just went in and played around with it myself; and to the best of my understanding, you have to highlight the text, break the link (the little sideways "8" with the X in it) then redo the text and the link the same way you did it originally. I made it a little easier by right clicking to open the boards in a different window so I could find the thread I needed to link to without navigating away from the signature page.

If you try to just highlight and type over with out breaking/redoing the link; it seems like only the first word stays linked. Which could work, too!

There may be an easier way, and I welcome anyone esle to step in, but after 3 glasses of Reisling; that's what I came up with :D

Hello,

Hopefully a quick blurb that will help you to get it "right", by which I mean simply, the way you want it to look! :)

When you set up a link in a post or your signature, special "words" called TAGS are used to tell the bulletin board software that you want to make a link.

There are three parts needed. The tags, the web reference, and the description. All these parts fit together in a certain way that must be correct for the bulletin board software to recognize the link.

The tags have two parts, a beginning (to turn it "on") and an end (to turn it "off"). They both use square brackets to set them apart: "[" and "]". Between the brackets are the letters "URL" for the beginning and "/URL" for the end.

For the beginning tag, between the "[url" and the "]" you must put the web reference you want the link to point to, with an "=", like this: "" to close the beginning tag. Directly after that comes plain text that you can use to describe the link. It can be anything, or sometimes people just repeat the web reference which makes that appear to be the link itself.

Finally, the close tag, which, again, is the "[", then "/URL" then "]".

Since you can't put the actual tags in place without the software interpreting them, I will show an example using the curly brackets instead of the straight brackets, so you can see what it looks like:

{URL="http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com"}This is the link to my tip calculator!{/URL}

Finally, here's how it looks for real with the square brackets:

This is the link to my tip calculator!

I hope that makes sense and wasn't too technical! The cool part is that you can go back to your signature, and edit the parts all you want, until you get it to look just the way you want. For example, one problem mentioned was that only the first word was "linked". Simple fix, go to the edit signature screen, and move the words you want to be linked to before the closing tag, rather than after. Watch your spaces, they tend to disappear at the beginning and end of the descriptive text. Use preview a lot and have fun!

Good Luck!

Theron

Archived