Review from 6/11 Xpedition to Galapagos. LONG...

silver03

We flew TAME from Quito to Baltra with one stop. I think it was an airbus, but we flew so many flights I can't be sure. No upgrades; all one class. It was an easy flight and went quickly as we were all so excited!!

Thanks ;) for your quick comment. We're really looking forward to this adventure cruise.

I almost forgot. I don't remember this being a concern in Ecuador, but if you go to Peru they will not accept bank notes with even the slightest little tear in them. Make sure you go to your US bank and get new or nearly new bills. We also used the ATM for soles. The vendors told us that the banks will not accept anything other than clean, unmarked, untorn US bills.

You don't realize how many have little tears in them until you search through worn bills in your wallet!!

Ecuador does trade in US dollars/cents, but also has their own coins which trade the equivalent of US coins.

Get your passport stamped at the shop at the airport in Baltra either when you arrive and are waiting for the bus or when you are returning Baltra to Quito.

Just making comments as I remember them!!!

Gillian

• 4 months later...
I almost forgot. I don't remember this being a concern in Ecuador, but if you go to Peru they will not accept bank notes with even the slightest little tear in them. Make sure you go to your US bank and get new or nearly new bills. We also used the ATM for soles. The vendors told us that the banks will not accept anything other than clean, unmarked, untorn US bills.

You don't realize how many have little tears in them until you search through worn bills in your wallet!!

Ecuador does trade in US dollars/cents, but also has their own coins which trade the equivalent of US coins.

Get your passport stamped at the shop at the airport in Baltra either when you arrive and are waiting for the bus or when you are returning Baltra to Quito.

Just making comments as I remember them!!!

Gillian

Has anyone else encountered the same situation necessitating bringing crisp/nearly new bills as Gillian noted? Are the bills needed primarily for the vendors in the markets or also for shopping/meals etc? I would presume that credit cards are widely accepted by other than market vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned and did not have any problems with bills of any sort. They were quite happy with the singles we gave out both at markets and for tips.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158948&highlight=Xpedition for my very long day by day trip reports and please ask questions if you have them. We had a great cruise and are happy to share our experiences

Archived