Mariner and Mother-in-Law

We're planning a family vacation in November on the Mariner. We've cruised on the Mariner before but this time my mother-in-law is going. She's wondering about playing Bridge and Ballroom dancing. Can anyone tell me if they particpated in these events on the Mariner (or any Explorer class ship)? Also, she's booked her own cabin, an inside cabin. How are the inside cabins? She's concerned about a closed in feeling. Any experience/help you can provide is greating appreciated!!

We're planning a family vacation in November on the Mariner. We've cruised on the Mariner before but this time my mother-in-law is going. She's wondering about playing Bridge and Ballroom dancing. Can anyone tell me if they particpated in these events on the Mariner (or any Explorer class ship)? Also, she's booked her own cabin, an inside cabin. How are the inside cabins? She's concerned about a closed in feeling. Any experience/help you can provide is greating appreciated!!

Can't address the cabin (after a career in submarines, even an inside cabin is roomy to me) or bridge (there is a card room close to Ellingtons), but there is plenty of ballroom dancing. There are three clubs, Ellington's and Lotus Lounge where there were two different bands playing a variety of ballroom dance music, and Bolero's where Salsa Magic played every night and did great Latin music. The floor at Ellington's is a crescent moon shaped floor, Bolero's is a small rectangle and Lotus Lounge is a nice sized rectangle. Lotus Lounge is the only one really big enough for a foxtrot or traveling waltz. Most of what I saw was merengue, rumba, cha-cha, salsa, with a little waltz, and hustle thrown in for good measure. The Dragons Lair is the disco, mostly hip-hop and techno style club music although it was the biggest dance floor on the ship. Hope that helps a little.

And no, you can't throw her overboard!! :-)

Actually I've always had inside cabins and they really aren't that bad; plus she isn't going to be in it all that long at any one time (other than sleeping).

Actually I've always had inside cabins and they really aren't that bad; plus she isn't going to be in it all that long at any one time (other than sleeping).

I figure family members are like children . . . if we can keep them occupied they'll all get along :)

I figure family members are like children . . . if we can keep them occupied they'll all get along :)

To my knowledge, unlike other lines, RCCL does not have gentlemen hosts on board to dance with the single ladies. So, if mom-in-law likes to dance, you'll need to accommodate her -- or she can just listen to the music. It's unlikely she'll find great availability of dance partners since a good many of the men will be either young and single (and in the disco not doing ballroom dancing) or married family guys. That's not to say she won't find partners, but she'd probably do better on a line catering to people in her age bracket. Nevertheless, the music is great.

As far as the inside cabin issue, if she tends at all toward claustrophobia, you may want to rethink that. The inside cabins are really small and close. A better option might be a promenade-view cabin. It's an inside cabin, but with a window onto the promenade -- great for people watching and viewing parades and other events. Plus, much less likely to induce claustrophobia.

Archived