Vatican question

I will be cruising this summer, and one of the ports is Rome. I'm wanting to get some rosaries for my niece and nephew for their first communion. I would like to get them blessed by the Pope. Can anyone provide any information about how to do this? I've also seen websites that sell such religious articles that they guarantee are blessed by the Pope. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated as well.

Paula

When we sent to the Vatican City gift shop (where the post office is as well) and inquired about purchasing a rosary blessed by the pope, the ladies behind the counter acted appalled that there would be such a thing. Perhaps we asked the question the wrong way, but I'd think we weren't the first people to want to buy one.

Good luck.

KnoxvilleSam

When we sent to the Vatican City gift shop (where the post office is as well) and inquired about purchasing a rosary blessed by the pope, the ladies behind the counter acted appalled that there would be such a thing. Perhaps we asked the question the wrong way, but I'd think we weren't the first people to want to buy one.

Good luck.

KnoxvilleSam

While no longer a practicing Christian, I'm fairly certain that the idea of selling "pre-blessed" items would be considered offensive.

You have to buy the rosary, and then go & get it blessed by someone (like the Pope) after you've bought the material object.

Blessed articles are never sold. Rosaries, etc. are bought and then blessed. Hope this helps.

Not so...in the stores surrouding the Vatican you will find all sorts of items that have been "blessed by the Pope" for sale...sometimes in huge lots(if looking really close too made in China is found on some of the items)....that is why I mentioned to buy at the Vatican gift shop.One can ask there if it could be blessed,and the quality may be better,but I cannnot vouch for that.I only say this re the VGS as my Italian friend had mentioned it as a better place to shop for items after I had mentioned what I had seen in the other shops.

When in Rome, do as the religious (nuns, priests, seminarians,etc ) do, shop for your religious items, guide books, postcards, rosaries, Papal Blessings at these two shops: via del Mascherino (Soprani) and Borgo Pio (Comandini) they are both "factory" shops , producing many of the items on sale. The crowds of religious are terrific especially on Wednesdays.

The shops in the Vatican museums and the Basilica are good too, more expensive and higher quality, as I noted when I lived in this neighborhood .

If you are looking for quality and low prices, you'll want the book "Designer Bargains in Italy" www.scoprioccasioni.it has over 2000 addresses of factory outlets, wholesale places ...including the jeweler Bulgari and the usual Prada, Gucci factory outlets.

Happy Shopping!

Mary Jane ************************

Archived