Shopping in China

npphotog

After telling some friends that we are booked to go to China next May 3 or 4 of the men asked if I could bring back a knockoff Rolex watch for them. We will be in Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Any suggestions where I might get them, and how low of a price I might have to pay? Also is there any problem bringing 3 or 4 back into the U.S.? Should have never told them until we got back. Thanks for any adivce, especially how to get them back into the U.S. Willard

The knockoff Rolex watches are $10 a piece from most street vendors. They're everywhere. The guides say the look great but don't last long. If they break, the legitimate Rolex dealers will not fix them according to our guides. You're on your own for any repairs.

You'll have no problem finding anything you want. The official rule is that they allow you to bring back one of each type-one watch one handbag etc...but its a rule they don't enforce too greatly. The airports are the worst place to shop. While rolex won't fix you watch any reputable repair place should be able to. Have a great time. Someone will always pay less than you do.

The official rule NONE!

copywrited counterfeit merchandise is not allowed to be transported into the United States. If you bring back watches, wear one and take the other out of the box and hid it in your luggage, like in a shoe or different places, not all together. They do check your luggage and if they find any, they will be confiscated. Never put them in your carry on.

F.Y.I I'm no saint, i have a few myself and this is how i brought them back but other people that i was with, who thought they could just put the watches & boxes right in the suitcase found out the boxes made it home but the watched didn't.

The official rule NONE!

copywrited counterfeit merchandise is not allowed to be transported into the United States. If you bring back watches, wear one and take the other out of the box and hid it in your luggage, like in a shoe or different places, not all together. They do check your luggage and if they find any, they will be confiscated. Never put them in your carry on.

F.Y.I I'm no saint, i have a few myself and this is how i brought them back but other people that i was with, who thought they could just put the watches & boxes right in the suitcase found out the boxes made it home but the watched didn't.

http://www.customs.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/knowbeforeyougo.ctt/knowbeforeyougo.pdf

please see page 29. You really should know what you are saying before you give people wrong infomation.

This is the section from the Publication Know before You Go. Published by the US Government.

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe

a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for

the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing

articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the

trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered

trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture. The importation of articles intended for sale or

public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the

registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are

confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark, and restricted gray market articles

(goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray

market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to

import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit,

confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal

use and is not for sale.

This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The arriving passenger may

retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who

has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear

the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the

personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or

its value is subject to forfeiture.

In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of

a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material

protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to

that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of

the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products

subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound

recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music

CDs, and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include

handbags and accessories, and clothing.

Just returned from the Orient. The best place to buy the watches is in Beijing at the Silk Market. As a matter of fact it is probably the best place to shop for anything. Hong Kong is no longer cheap. Shanghai is closing their outdoor market. You can buy really good knock off Rolexes for about $40 US. These are nothing like the $10 street watches which I wouldn't even consider.

BTW if you want a simple way to determine if a Rolex is fake and whether you are getting a good knockoff- watch the second hand. If it clicks second to second its a fake. If it sweeps around not clicking off the seconds it may be real- a sweeping movement costs much more than a clicking one. I thought they had closed silk alley in Beijing...because of US compliants(its right behind the embassy).

It is no longer open air but a six story building. Each floor specializes in a particular thing. Don't miss the leather goods in the basement. This is not for the faint of heart. Vendors are very aggresive but if you like to bargain it shouldn't be missed.

There are two distinct qualities of knockoffs. Don't touch the ones sold on the street. Lots of shops have the same junk but ask for something better. When I bought mine, the guy had another selection in a drawer (not displayed). They were clearly better quality.

The real cheap ones have an electric movement. The better ones are self-winding mechanical like the originals. Compare the crystals. Cheap ones scratch easily.

I bought 2 (in case one broke) for about $12 US each after some haggling . It's a good thing too because I dropped one on the winding stem and it died. The other one is going strong after 2 years - only problem the gold is wearing off the band.

Should I complain to Rolex? :D

We brought back some MAO watches as souvenirs, where MAO has an arm waving in time with the second hand. While kind of tacky, people at home thought they were great gifts. If you happen to show any interest in buying a watch on the streets, the vendors will flock to you like pigeons to bread. From our hotel window, we got a kick out of watching (no pun intended) the tourists on the street as they approached a vendor and then the swarm of other vendors swooped in:D . Also, one lady in the group was attempting to buy a knock off purse and the police came up and disrupted the sale. Not to be outdone, the vendor followed us for several blocks and the sale was finally made.

Keep this in mind.

Prices are at their peak when you first get off the bus. They will be considerably cheaper when you return. If you're already on the bus ready to leave you can get your best buys using hand signs through the window because they know this is their last chance at you.

Archived